• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'95 Ford 2.3 in a '79 Courier

SportsterMark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I am currently putting a '95 2.3 in a '79 Courier and I have a few problems that perhaps someone here could help me with.

The first is that the Ranger motor is a rear sump while the Courier uses a front sump.
I took the oil pump and pickup tube out of the old motor to use in the Ranger motor, but when I got the Ranger motor on my engine stand and pulled off the oil pan, I discovered that the oil pumps are very different and what I had could not be used in the Ranger motor.
A stop in at NAPA told me that there are no stock front pickups for the motor I have, which seems to be an '86-'97 while the previous motor is a '74-'85.
I contacted Speedway, but their front sump pickup tube is for '74-'85 only. I then called Esslinger but they didn't answer the phone so I left a message asking them about front sump pickup tubes for later model 2.3's.
My truck is at a friend's house in his driveway, and I need to get the motor back in as soon as possible because it has already been there a month and it needs to get gone. Once I hoist the motor in I can move it to my house and finish it off, but I don't have a way to hoist it in at my house so it needs to get put in soon.
Any ideas?

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The Courier was a Mazda built truck, and most had a 1.8 or 2.0 Mazda engine, but some were fitted with the 2.3 Ford engine.
Aside from a few internal parts, and the general design, there are few shared components between the 2.3L from 79, and the 95+ 2.3/2.5L, as you are starting to discover.
The oil pump was relocated in 95, and I doubt there are any front sump pans/pickups made to fit the newer block. Even if you could get beyond this hurdle, there's no provision in the newer block for your distributor, so unless you are planning to use the 95 ECU, wiring, and full EFI conversion, you're going to run into a whole lot more hurdles.

spiderjutt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
they didn't answer the phone ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals