Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #21
country0001

Vehicle Year: 1990,92
Vehicle Make: Ford,Ford
Vehicle Model: B2,F150
I use this vehicle for: tearin up the gravel roads
country0001 has a spectacular aura aboutcountry0001 has a spectacular aura about

Hey, since he's comin from Florida, and headin out west, he can pick up the banner and just pack it that way. JK

I had forgot about braking. Since ur talking bout that far of a trip, I hope ur 2.9 is in top condition and that u have a 4.0 radiator in it. That engine will get hot on that long of a trip.

Not saying it can't be done. Just plan ur route where other TRS members are so if u need something we are available. lol
BUILD THREAD http://www.therangerstation.com/foru....php?p=767381#
country0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
LordVngr

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX Supercab
LordVngr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by country0001 View Post
Hey, since he's comin from Florida, and headin out west, he can pick up the banner and just pack it that way. JK

I had forgot about braking. Since ur talking bout that far of a trip, I hope ur 2.9 is in top condition and that u have a 4.0 radiator in it. That engine will get hot on that long of a trip.

Not saying it can't be done. Just plan ur route where other TRS members are so if u need something we are available. lol

LOL, I hear ya man. Luckily my 2.9 has the late model heads on it. Have Never had a overheating problem, Ever and I've owned the truck about 10 years now and probably put about 60k m iles on it. Not sure if it has a 4.0 liter radiator or not, probably not But it's never overheated.
LordVngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #23
robertc1024

Vehicle Year: nada
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: 2008 F150
I use this vehicle for: teach my boys to not get rid of a Ranger.
robertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVngr View Post
Ok guys

I checked my manual and it shows a payload weight of 1300 lbs and a GVWR weight of 4650lbs for my truck. I'm not 100% sure what that means. Can I tow a trailer that weight OR is that the combined weight of the truck including everything in it and on it And included the total weight of the towed item. If so, figure the truck weighs a ton , ton and 1/2, plus people, gas, gear, dont leave much room left over to tow anything it seems.

Can someone explain that to me and also the advantages / disadvantages of convential trailer verses 5th wheel.

Lv
The GVWR is the total weight of everything, truck, trailer, gas, passengers, beer cans in the bed etc. You're right, that doesn't leave a lot of room. I wonder if the factory rating is on the high or low end of things though. On one hand, they might like to go high, so it seems that the truck is mighty, on the other hand, they might go low so there's some safety factor for everything.
robertc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVngr View Post
LOL, I hear ya man. Luckily my 2.9 has the late model heads on it. Have Never had a overheating problem, Ever and I've owned the truck about 10 years now and probably put about 60k m iles on it. Not sure if it has a 4.0 liter radiator or not, probably not But it's never overheated.
you should get the radiator from a... i think 93 or 92 ranger with the 4.0/automatic.

that was, when i got one, a three core radiator, good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #25
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Toyota
Vehicle Model: FJ Cruiser
I use this vehicle for: When I can't ride a motorcycle.
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
The GVWR is the total weight of everything, truck, trailer, gas, passengers, beer cans in the bed etc. You're right, that doesn't leave a lot of room. I wonder if the factory rating is on the high or low end of things though. On one hand, they might like to go high, so it seems that the truck is mighty, on the other hand, they might go low so there's some safety factor for everything.
No. GVWR is the total vertical load on both axles. GCWR is the trailer + truck.

The trailer needs to do its own braking. Any trailer in consideration will have brakes on each axle. The truck need the controller installed to actuate them. Brakes are not a consideration on the tow vehicle. However, trailer brakes need more service than vehicle brakes. Most don't auto adjust. The magnets wear rapidly if you use them a lot. The way they work is that the brake controller energizes an electro magnet that grabs at the inside of the drum. The drum pulls the magnet, which is attached to the brakes in such a way that it spreads the shoes out and presses them into the drums. Drum brakes are bad--like little ovens--and they fade quickly, and the magnets tear up the inside of the drum which reduces the surface area of the contact. there is quickly a lot less pull on the shoes. And the shoes wear and don't engage as readily because the brakes don't self adjust. Most trailer brakes are faulty due to neglegence so don't buy a trailer of any age and think the brakes are fine just because they are there. The brakes should lock and skid at max power.

'07 FJ Cruiser

'09 Mazdaspeed

'14 Ninja 1000
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #26
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

The trailer needs to do its own braking. Any trailer in consideration will have brakes on each axle. The truck need the controller installed to actuate them. Brakes are not a consideration on the tow vehicle. However, trailer brakes need more service than vehicle brakes. Most don't auto adjust. The magnets wear rapidly if you use them a lot. The way they work is that the brake controller energizes an electro magnet that grabs at the inside of the drum. The drum pulls the magnet, which is attached to the brakes in such a way that it spreads the shoes out and presses them into the drums. Drum brakes are bad--like little ovens--and they fade quickly, and the magnets tear up the inside of the drum which reduces the surface area of the contact. there is quickly a lot less pull on the shoes. And the shoes wear and don't engage as readily because the brakes don't self adjust. Most trailer brakes are faulty due to neglegence so don't buy a trailer of any age and think the brakes are fine just because they are there. The brakes should lock and skid at max power.

or, if you're smart, you'll run an electro-hydraulic system, they operate from a standard electrical brake controller, the complicated part is all trailer side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #27
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

That is not Ranger tow-able...you would want a 1/2 ton truck at minimum for something that size.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #28
robertc1024

Vehicle Year: nada
Vehicle Model: 2008 F150
I use this vehicle for: teach my boys to not get rid of a Ranger.
robertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
My bad. You sir are quite corrrect.
robertc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote