• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 ranger running lean no vac leaks MAF or Fuel pump?

Bajabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I was afraid of that, the freeway is fine but the in town hurts a little.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So what do u think was ur problem? the FP or the MAF?

Bajabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump solved the hard starting but not the mileage or the CEL, MAF made the mileage better and I haven't gotten a check engine light yet.

Bobby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Testing fuel pump

I know one way to check if your fuel pump is working properly or not. I know u switched it out already but u might be able to use it as future reference. One way is with key on, engine running check the psi, then restrict the return line, and the pressure should just about double, but only do this for a couple seconds or you can damage the rubber diaphragm in your regulator. One way to check if the diaphgram is ruptured is to check your dip stick for a gassy smell caused by gas leaking into the crankcase. Another way to see if gas is in your oil is to check its flammability compared to clean oil. Now for failing the emission test, it might of just been from your custom exhaust, a CAT can make quite a difference, but who wants one of those?

Alwaysoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
when my MAF went out due to fluids shorting that circuit(sp) i lost massive amounts of power...the truck wouldnt go faster than 5mph.. i replaced it and it worked fine but i think your issue is either fuel pump or filter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals