• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I should win a prize...

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
For the most miles on the original green coolant in a Ranger. 12 years, 125,000 miles.

Here's what it looks like now:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, you should be kicked in the shin by a midget for not taking care of your vehicle.

I've seen what not keeping the coolant changed can do to the insides of an engine. How about the guy that spent $12,000 to replace his 6.0L because he couldn't spend $100 to change his coolant every 3 years. It ate away the edges of the water passages at the top of the block to the point where the head gaskets wouldn't seal anymore.

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I know it was very neglectful to let it go this long. It will be changed more often in the future. The purpose of the thread was more to show people why they need to change their coolant.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The purpose of the thread was more to show people why they need to change their coolant.
As is my initial response.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, you should be kicked in the shin by a midget for not taking care of your vehicle.

I've seen what not keeping the coolant changed can do to the insides of an engine. How about the guy that spent $12,000 to replace his 6.0L because he couldn't spend $100 to change his coolant every 3 years. It ate away the edges of the water passages at the top of the block to the point where the head gaskets wouldn't seal anymore.
A couple months ago we had a tractor (built between 1978 and 1982) that still had the original coolant in it. The guy was actually rather proud of it. Turned out to be a can of worms, everything that we touched with the cooling system died. Ended up with a new radiator core and water pump although it just came in for a hydraulic pump coupler kit (the pump runs off the front of the crank )

My brother has been fighting a 6.0 diesel from down south that somebody had the brainy idea to run straight water in it... they apparently used some special water in it too. They eventually put a water filter kit on it rather than keep changing heater cores, chunks of rust that just won't quit no matter how many times it is flushed.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My brother has been fighting a 6.0 diesel from down south that somebody had the brainy idea to run straight water in it... they apparently used some special water in it too. They eventually put a water filter kit on it rather than keep changing heater cores, chunks of rust that just won't quit no matter how many times it is flushed.
VC-9. And lots of it.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope- I've got 137,564 miles on my original green coolant...at least until it finally coroded throught the radiator. It came out black...yes, black coolant. Then I used a borescope to check out the internals of the block and it was fine, no pitting or anything. I was really worried about the engine but that just proves the durability of the 3L Vulcan.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
VC-9. And lots of it.
Actually the guy got sick of it and traded it back in, he has his fingers crossed it goes back to auction (where they got it in the first place)

He has ran a bunch of different stuff through it, basically it needs stripped and hot tanked.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually the guy got sick of it and traded it back in, he has his fingers crossed it goes back to auction (where they got it in the first place)
Another 6.0 story.

We sold one last week, never went through the shop. The sales man told the guy we'd fix the "oil leak" and get it through inspection.

Got it on the lift and called the salesman out, asked "which oil leak?" and "how much do you want to spend to fix this hunk of junk?"

The cab needs to come off for the repairs. We don't want to take the cab off because we are afraid it will fall apart.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and this is why the 6.0 gets a bad name, because people a retards!!!

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha, not me or my friend's fault, but he just got one of his many bbf's back into my old 79 that i sold to him. he wanted to change the freeze plugs cuz a couple were leaking. 2 of them on the passenger side were hiding rocks and sand made of rust and god knows what else behind them. he spent 20 plus minutes digging the stuff out... made us kind of nervous to run the motor any more, but it is supposed to be a lower mile's rebuild lol.... we'll see. some of those rocks were the size of a dime!

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wow.. Can't imagine. I flushed mine (not the Ranger, btw) at 50k and it was still perfect.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
For the most miles on the original green coolant in a Ranger. 12 years, 125,000 miles.

Here's what it looks like now:

Your prize should be to confine you to a prison cell. I bet you are the guy we see in traffic that runs around with bald tires and no brakes and causes accidents..lol.

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Your prize should be to confine you to a prison cell. I bet you are the guy we see in traffic that runs around with bald tires and no brakes and causes accidents..lol.
Nope. Safety equipment will never be neglected on my vehicles. Simple maintenance may be, but safety is always a priority. I value my life, and the life of my fiance far too much to be driving around with worn out brakes or tires.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
This is actually a good bit of props for the durability of the cooling system on your truck. Yeah, you should get a good nutcracker for neglect, but the radiator and gaskets and water pump have held up to being surrounded by gunk.

On an unrelated (sort of) note, I have a friend whose dad bought a 79 Chevy truck brand new. Changed the oil, yes OIL, one time and that was at around 5000 miles. When the truck finally gave it up it had close to 200,000 miles on the old 350. We dropped the pan just to see and it looked like tar in the bottom of the pan. Some black liquid, but about a 1/4" of tar everywhere else. Sad really even if it was a Chevy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals