• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2-Piece to 1-Piece Driveshaft questions

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

First I have a 1987 Ranger STX SuperCab 4x4 AT.

I have found a few 1-piece driveshafts out there and I have a few questions:

- The how-to article states 47" weld-to-weld, anybody know how long it is with u-joints and flanges? Bascially, boltup-to-boltup distance.

- I found a 1-piece 53 1/2 inch (flange end to flange end) that came from a 1986 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL truck, I thought 1-pieces came from 1998+ models only? Maybe this is a regular cab with long bed?

- Finally, best way to remove rivots? Ginder? Air Chisel? Drill n punch?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Greetings Again!
47 weld to weld is roughly correct, but the actual distance (boltup to boltup) can vary. on my 95 ranger was 61 and 1/4. it is best to measure your own to make sure.
as for removing the rivots, you have two choices........torch them out (messy) or grind and air chisel to pop them. i assume your relocating the support crossmember the carrier bearing was located on?

as for the long one piece from the 86 ranger, i have NO idea, unless someone already swapped it in to theirs. Ford did the two piece till 97 to my knowledge

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Greetings Again!
47 weld to weld is roughly correct, but the actual distance (boltup to boltup) can vary. on my 95 ranger was 61 and 1/4. it is best to measure your own to make sure.
as for removing the rivots, you have two choices........torch them out (messy) or grind and air chisel to pop them. i assume your relocating the support crossmember the carrier bearing was located on?

as for the long one piece from the 86 ranger, i have NO idea, unless someone already swapped it in to theirs. Ford did the two piece till 97 to my knowledge
Yea thanks.. his was on a regular cab. Not gonna work. Plenty on ebay (about 15) but I am concerned about quality more than price.

Um, relocating the xmember? Uh, yea, makes sense. I did a rough measurement (kind of tough with the CB xmember in the way) and got something close to 62 1/2 - 63 inches. Seems like I'm gonna have to take a leap of faith and hope whoever wrote up the how-to knows it will fit.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
dont forget the splines can travel a bit also.
i had no issue with length getting a steel one piece (non-aluminum...BAD super thick aluminum!) from the junkyard in with 4 inches of lift and the crossmeber just trimmed out a little. well, no issue except needing to replace the Yoke on the transfer case, because the Flange was too big on every one i got. simple fix however, if you can get the flange.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
the was someone on here that just drilled and tapped new holes so the driveshaft flange would fit

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Just pulled the trigger on a steel driveshaft off of eBay. This place had 3 of them, so I had them confirm the one I got was steel. Condition = A. $40 plus $43 in shipping. I tell ya, much easier than going to the local JY!!

Keep you all posted on the progress... pics too.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
cant wait to see the results

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I popped out my Carrier Bearing Center Support rivets today in preparation for my 1-piece that is due to arrive this week. Here is a step-by-step with lots of pictures...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77652

More pictures to come when I change out the drive shaft this week.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Great pics and list of tools needed. Variable speed drill is a MUST. Great progress so far!
Reminds me of mine! Fond memories!

Keep us posted when the shaft comes in, and one thing I needed to do forclearance jssues was to relocate the crossmember to the bottom of the frame and a little towards the front of the truck. Or you can use a couple washers for spacers. Doesn't need much, if any.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
So let's say when this 1-piece drive shaft gets here on Friday it is a little long or short (maybe a 1/2 in either direction)... what is the best way to adjust this? You mentioned the splines can travel a little.

Also, ordered my Spicer conversion U-joint last night, should be here today! Now that's fast. I figure the odds of the drive shaft coming with the proper ends to work with my setup are pretty slim. Might as well use the conversion joint in the mean time. And the only knock on using it was the fact that I would have to remember which part number it is - Spicer 5-134X. I will keep the package ;-)

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
best way to adjust it is to bolt it to the transfer case, then push it up or pull it on to the rear Diff. the splines are made to travel as the rear diff goes up and down. a 1/2 an inch Should not be an issue for you either way, and is doable with one person, unline some projects.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, it came in today. Spent a good deal of effort removing the rear u-joint and flange yoke. The u-joint pins snapped off and got stuck in the groove... pain in the ass.

Notice how my new drive shaft is exactly the same size as my pvc measuring stick? Should fit perfect!

Last edited:

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Spicer 5-134X does NOT work. About 3/4 inch too long. Not sure where this info came from and what year it was referring to, but I can tell you that it will NOT work with an 87 ranger. The drive shaft on my truck is way too narrow for that thing (or rather the yoke flange distance for the u-joint).

Sigh, so now the hunt is on for a 2 1/2 spacing Yoke flange instead of the 3 " bolt spacing it came with. I just might order the same exact drive shaft and pull the flange from the transfer case side... and I'll have a spare 1-piece.

Kind of bummed this project is on hold! I might go to the local pick n pull and see if any of the mustangs have something I can work with.

Anyone need a Spicer 5-134X?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
That Spicer will work if you are converting from the 1310 to the 1330. You must have the 1210 which is about 3/4" shorter. Don't know why but the ext cabs had the shorter/narrower joint.
Dave

Edit: So the flange you on your drive shaft is too narrow for that conversion joint? Think this will solve your problem and let you use that joint you bought.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p529_small_bolt_pattern_1310_series_flange_yoke_fits_ford_7.5_and.html
Brother, you could not have been more accurate! It is EXACTLY 3/4" too long for my Flange Yoke.

Too funny, was about to pull the trigger on the EXACT Yoke you mentioned from Dennys, but I am now thinking, just get the 2.5 bolt spacing flange for a 1330. Then, I'll always get 1330 u joints for the front or back.

Check out:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p373_1330_series_flange_yoke_fits_7.5_and_8.8_inch_rear_ends_smal.html

Or, it seems Spicer 2-2-949 is almost identical and that is 20 miles from my house (but can be ordered online):

http://www.drive-lines.com/catalogs/pdf/dana/J300P-2.pdf

better yet, I am going to drive 20 miles and pick up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals