• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need a lil help about wiring

puffnnos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i got a 88 ranger that im workn on puttn a 302 in it and cant get power in the cab which when i switched the motor i un plugged the harness off the fenderwell an left the wiring on the motor an sold it if any one can help thanx

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you saying you got rid of the whole wiring harness with the old motor? When I put mine in I used the old wiring and just got rid of the plugs I didn't need. Everything in the cab still works even though I have the computer unplugged. I figured it was easier that way instead of having to rewire everything from scratch.....If you have no harness you might have to go buy one from a junk yard or from "Painless" or make one yourself....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your doing the duraspark all you need is the alternator ignition on and start wires. The power to the ignition is not in the engine harness it comes from the start solenoid with a fusable link. once you get the fuse block powered up then you can work on the engine wiring. +1 on the engine harness from the bone yard you can strip it down so you have the wires for the alternator,oil,coolant and tach just grab the senders off the donor vehicle if still there. Then just plug it in you can pull the power to the coil and module off the engine harness and use the start wire on the start solenoid for the white start wire for the module. There should be a large round connector by the start solenoid you removed when disconnecting the engine harness it goes on the battery side of the solenoid. that powers up the chassis harness and fuse block. Being a 88 if you have the power distribution center that get power direct from the battery with 89 wiring.

puffnnos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea i didnt know i would need the old harness to have power in the cab have the motor running jus no power in the cab i have to jump the solenoid to start ittho

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yea i didnt know i would need the old harness to have power in the cab have the motor running jus no power in the cab i have to jump the solenoid to start ittho
If you gave him only the engine harness, you are OK as that is separate. There's a wire w/ a fuse link near where the starter solenoid is/was that needs to be on the batt side of the starter solenoid. Once that is connected, then you will have power to your cab. This wiring is separate from the engine related main harness.

If this was removed, will have to get one from a j/y, get it back from that guy cause he don't need it, or get an EVTM and just wire it up yourself.

Edit, if you had an auto (not sure about manual) you neurtal safety switch will cause a no start since part of the circuit DOES run in the engine main harness. I subtracted this circuit from my mainharness so that I could retain the plugs. oil pressure, temp, etc all run through those dash plugs also, gave a way an important piece IMO, but not a deal breaker.. :)

Last edited:

puffnnos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i have no power to the fuse link i might have it backwards but the engine harness is gone and i had on pass side fenderwell a starter relay an a fuel pump relay i removed them an the computer an the wires goin to the computer prolly a mistake but didnt know i running a caburated 302 an running a msd coil an 6al box wit stock distributor i took on this project a lil to much cause swappin dana 44 axles and full size 302 motor trans a t case

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You know what wire I am referring to then? I don't have my EVTM handy to verify the color, but the power to your cab has nothing to do with the engine main harness (but I suspect the nss will be your next project to tackle). Will have to look in my manual later tonight to see what color that will be, but needs to have constant power / needs to be on the battery side of the starter relay to get power to the cab.

puffnnos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea had the fuse link backwards an the solenoid but there is one more question i gotta ask my motor trans an t case is out of a 89 f150 was efi i switched it over to a carb but guy told me cause i am runnin a aod trans i gotta put a pressure guage on trans an adjust the kickdown linkage or it would burn it up

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
yea had the fuse link backwards an the solenoid but there is one more question i gotta ask my motor trans an t case is out of a 89 f150 was efi i switched it over to a carb but guy told me cause i am runnin a aod trans i gotta put a pressure guage on trans an adjust the kickdown linkage or it would burn it up
Isnt the AOD a four speed auto. You want to adjust the kickdown cable with WOT and the tranny lever to its stop. Keep the shift lever in third when pulling hills or just driving around town. At least that is what by brother used to do.

mike732

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the linkage is not hooked up correct the trans will not last 300 miles, use a pressure guage don't risk it.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals