• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsion bar vs ttb travel

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hmmm..

use would dictate build direction.

ttb can potentially be the best bang for the buck for ifs.

the class 2 skyjacker with super runner steering i see as the best "bolt on" solution for a driveway build..

i have achieved 16/18 in of travel with jd bushing arms and 4 inch drop pivots on stock beams and junkyard steering. so its doable, but there is compromise.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Did you need to drop the super runner kit down at all to match the FA400 arm?
No. It seemed to fit nicely. there's a picture on this page of my build thread.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Superlift steering kit only drops down 2 of the 4 inches it needs to for a 4" lift (just like the too-short drop pitman arms do), so if the centerlink wasn't lowered (and your lift is more than 2"), it's likely not where it should be (tie rods on the same plane as the beam pivots, the tie rods ideally should pass directly in front of your beam pivots).

The Superlift steering kit uses a standard (2") drop pitman arm such as the FA400, so no need to purchase the FA600 if you get the steering kit (modifying the centerlink as shown on this page doesn't change the pitman arm requirements).

IIRC, stock travel is pretty close to the same whether TTB or IFS (about 6" for IFS, maybe 7" for TTB). As said though, the TTB comes alive MUCH faster & further than the IFS does if you have a somewhat limited budget for your build (it is far more durable too).

FWIW, Skyjacker (and maybe others) were calling products that include new rear leaf springs "Systems", and products with rear blocks "Kits". So there's no real standard as to what constitutes a "lift kit", "suspension system", etc. Just get what you want and you can fairly safely assume it will "lift" your truck in the process.

Edit:
I just clicked your link, and your centerlink is higher than it should be. You probably aren't seeing issues from it since the stiffer TTB coil springs (I assume you're running) tend to mask them better than, say, Jeep or early Bronco springs would. Even as such, I strongly suspect you would still see a marked improvement in handling if you lowered that down 2".

Last edited:

albertb

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Superlift steering kit only drops down 2 of the 4 inches it needs to for a 4" lift (just like the too-short drop pitman arms do), so if the centerlink wasn't lowered (and your lift is more than 2"), it's likely not where it should be (tie rods on the same plane as the beam pivots, the tie rods ideally should pass directly in front of your beam pivots).

The Superlift steering kit uses a standard (2") drop pitman arm such as the FA400, so no need to purchase the FA600 if you get the steering kit (modifying the centerlink as shown on this page doesn't change the pitman arm requirements).

IIRC, stock travel is pretty close to the same whether TTB or IFS (about 6" for IFS, maybe 7" for TTB). As said though, the TTB comes alive MUCH faster & further than the IFS does if you have a somewhat limited budget for your build (it is far more durable too).

FWIW, Skyjacker (and maybe others) were calling products that include new rear leaf springs "Systems", and products with rear blocks "Kits". So there's no real standard as to what constitutes a "lift kit", "suspension system", etc. Just get what you want and you can fairly safely assume it will "lift" your truck in the process.

Edit:
I just clicked your link, and your centerlink is higher than it should be. You probably aren't seeing issues from it since the stiffer TTB coil springs (I assume you're running) tend to mask them better than, say, Jeep or early Bronco springs would. Even as such, I strongly suspect you would still see a marked improvement in handling if you lowered that down 2".
How do I know which skyjacker kits are the class II ones everyones talking about?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Hmm, are they not using the "Class I" and "Class II" designators anymore?

Class II kits always include extended radius arms (part numbers start with "2", such as "236RHKS-AM" for their 6" kit w/rear springs and monotube gas shocks).

Class I kits have drop brackets that simply lower the short OE radius arms (part # starts with "1", such as "136RHKS-M")

Both style kits are available with rear lift blocks or new leaf springs (which of course you'll want the springs, since blocks greatly exacerbate the wheelhop issue Rangers already have stock).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I looked around their site earlier today and saw the "class 2" designation on some kits for GM vehicles but not on any kits listed for Rangers. My assumption was that the class 2 kits are the ones with longer radius arms and new leaf springs for the rear. Basically what was mentioned above. The more complete the kit is, the better it will function.

My theory ,when buying, was to get as much as I could afford so I wouldn't have to go back and finish the job later. Everybody's budget is different. So you research it like you're doing and then get what you're comfortable with that fits your situation.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals