• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.7 Eco Boost swap ???

johnro6659

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now that the engine swap is out I guess I will use the 2.9. What is a good source for performance parts for these engines? I would LOVE to get a lot more out of this as possible. Looking at headers want a true duel exhaust system. I am not happy with the current intake system seems weak to me. The engine only has 82K miles on it but has sat a long time. I crank it up here and there to run some oil thru the engine and heat it up seems to run very well. I haven't actually driven it in years just around the block every now and then when I can borrow a repair plate. Is there anywhere on the forum that deals with just the 2.9 and mods for it??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Tom Morana is about the only one out there still making any sort of performance parts fo the 2.9 AFAIK.

You can probably throw a 4.0 in for less money than you will sink into 2.9 parts from Morana, and get farther doing it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If you didn't want the engine swap bad enough to talk to your friend while you were sick, then building the 2.9 into some performance engine (that'll cost buckets full of money and still be crap) is a pipe dream.

GB :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you didn't want the engine swap bad enough to talk to your friend while you were sick, then building the 2.9 into some performance engine (that'll cost buckets full of money and still be crap) is a pipe dream.

well thats just being nice.

maybe.

ALL of the ecoboosts have swapped with oem based electronics..theres at least 2 2.7's tearing up ancient iron since 2017.

if you say first ...it would be first for this board. not first done.

getting the details of the herd out front is the issue.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
well thats just being nice.

maybe.
I'm just saying.. When the engine I wanted for my swap presented itself, I didn't hesitate a single minute. I built the truck over the last winter in an unheated shop, and I was sick more than once. I never stopped, because I wanted the swap done.

As for the 2.9, they're absolute garbage. They always have been. I've owned more than one and I'll never own another. I've passed up buying some mint Rangers/Bronco II's because of it. Just a terrible engine. The 4.0 SOHC isn't much better truthfully.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm just saying.. When the engine I wanted for my swap presented itself, I didn't hesitate a single minute. I built the truck over the last winter in an unheated shop, and I was sick more than once. I never stopped, because I wanted the swap done.

As for the 2.9, they're absolute garbage. They always have been. I've owned more than one and I'll never own another. I've passed up buying some mint Rangers/Bronco II's because of it. Just a terrible engine. The 4.0 SOHC isn't much better truthfully.

:icon_confused:

i was trying to come up with an arguement against this.

and.

i couldnt:icon_rofl:

dik.:thefinger:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Other people want them.

I got $200 out of the 2.9 in my parts truck. :yahoo:

A few years later I paid the same for the 302 that is in my truck. :icon_rofl:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Other people want them.

I got $200 out of the 2.9 in my parts truck. :yahoo:

A few years later I paid the same for the 302 that is in my truck. :icon_rofl:
No one in this area seems to want them. I've tried. I have 2 that run. One has a cracked head for the 15th billion time. On the 2nd block even. I've changed more heads on 2.9's than I can remember. New head bolts, new heads, new gaskets, they always cracked, on two different blocks even. The 2nd block was even a Jasper rebuilt engine and it still cracked at least 3 heads that I can remember. New radiators, new water pumps, thermostats, fan clutches, even a solid driven fan. Nothing ever helped. They're just junk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals