• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake System Compromised by Power Steering Fluid

sjackson.butte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to start off by saying, I know I'm an idiot for not checking the bottle first. I accidentally added power steering fluid to the master cylinder in my 97 Mazda B4000. I emptied what I could from the Master Cylinder as soon as I realized my mistake and topped it with brake fluid. That was before I ran the engine or went anywhere.

I fear there is still contaminants. I ran my truck for a week before problems started and have now lost use of my brakes. So now I'm wondering how much of my brake system needs to be replaced. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm not sure if that would have any effect on internal seals in the brake system. But if it were me, I would bleed the whole system with good clean brake fluid until you get good fluid out of each bleeder. Then see how everything acts.

If, while bleeding, you get a lot of black fluid coming out, I would suspect compromised seals. In that case, replace wheel cylinders, rebuild/replace master cylinder, rebuild/ replace abs valve then fill and bleed the system.

That's just my 2cents.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What exactly were the problems you started experiencing and how have the brakes failed? Pedal to the floor?

Technically speaking power steering fluid (Im assuming you used typical mercon or dexcron atf based power steering fluid) is hydraulic fluid, it just doesn't have the heat resistance of brake fluid. Some old power steering systems used dot 3 brake fluid. That being said I cant see it destroying seals but it would boil too fast causing severe brake fade and eventually no brakes. However if all you did was top off the master cylinder and immediately suck it all out I cant see that even causing catastrophic issues. Did you actually bleed the system with the power steering fluid in the master cylinder reservoir? I.e. is pwer steering fluid all the way through the lines?

Why were you filling the master cylinder? This should only be done during bleeding. Were you servicing the brakes or did you just see the reservoir low and top it off?

Like eric said I'd start with a massive full brake bleed but more info on whats going on would help determine how bad the situation is.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen this before. You need to replace EVERYTHING. And by EVERYTHING I mean the brake booster, and any friction material/hard parts that haven't been exposed to the brake fluid can stay.

PS fluid/Trans fluid will ruin the rubber seals on anything in the hydraulic system. And it is denser than brake fluid, so as soon as you put it in the system it started sinking.

Master cylinder, lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, hoses, it all needs to go.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
The power steering fluid made the rubber O rings in the brake system swell up and sealed the lines closed. You will have to get all fluids out of the whole system. Then replace any rubber parts. You will notice what has been effected, easily. Then refill fluids and bleed the system.

When the rubber makes contact with petroleum based product, it swells up. When I worked at a brake shop, we would always get customers from the Jiffy Lube down the road, saying they just left them and now there brakes don't work. Check the fluids and there was PS fluid in the reservoir. The fact that you got a while before it took effect means you left some in the lines.

Lime adsm08 said. It's all bad

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Technically speaking power steering fluid (Im assuming you used typical mercon or dexcron atf based power steering fluid) is hydraulic fluid, it just doesn't have the heat resistance of brake fluid. Some old power steering systems used dot 3 brake fluid. That being said I cant see it destroying seals but it would boil too fast causing severe brake fade and eventually no brakes.
PS fluid is mineral oil. DOT3 is largely acetone. Mineral oil destroys the types of rubber used in sealing brake systems.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
PS fluid is mineral oil. DOT3 is largely acetone. Mineral oil destroys the types of rubber used in sealing brake systems.
Never would have thought that.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Never would have thought that.
I've seen it happen. In about three days, or less, his wheel cylinders are going to blow out, if they didn't already.

At my first auto tech job my mentor got fired over one of these, and it wasn't even really his fault.

E250 work van, the company that owned it had one guy who did all their light maintenance. He accidentally put ATF in the brake reservoir, knew it was bad, but didn't know exactly what to do about it. They had it towed about three blocks to us, never touched the pedal. Tom thought we had gotten to it quick enough, since nobody touched the brake pedal, and pulled the brake res, bench bled the master, and flushed the rest of the system out with a few quarts of fresh fluid. He thought he had gotten it good enough, and had done the right thing by trying to fix the van without charging the customer an arm and a leg for a whole new brake system. About two days later it was back leaking from the wheel cylinders and calipers. It was then we determined the contamination was systemic because ATF is denser than brake fluid, and it had gotten through everything before it was even on our lot. Service manager said we'd eat the cost, but he fired the guy who worked on it first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals