• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Ranger Help

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty interested in this 1997 ranger. It has some serious body damage (I personally don't care) but I mean this truck has been kicked in and vandalized. The bed is in really rough shape & rusted out. The guy's only asking for $500 & it's not running currently because it was out of timing and the valves got bent. I'm not a mechanic, nor an expert that's why I'm asking for help here. Is it too much work to be bothered to get it running and legal? How much should a bed run for? Or.. is there any short cuts to getting a semi-rusted out bed to be "usable"? I really do not care how it looks. Also, how hard is it to replace valves? I apologize for my extremely newby questions.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I deleted one thread and moved this one to general discussions for more views. You should only post one thread per subject as it can get screwed up for answers if there is more than one.
I think you should find a truck that runs half decent for your first truck, unless you have a lot of time for research and more money...WAG you'll spend another $1,000 on the truck. For $1,500 you can get a decent running truck with minimal repairs to do.

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
I cant help much with the body questions and legality. It would be helpful for us yo know what engine is in it and the current mileage. The timing being off and bending valves sounds fishy to me as i dont think in 97 the 2.3l or 4.0l were interference engines. Not sure about a 3.0l. If it were me i would keep my $500.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I don't mean to kill your dreams, but $500 is a lot to pay for a $150 pile of scrap metal.
try to find something that at least runs good enough to get it home.

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys, would it not be worth finding another 2.3l engine and dropping it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PO didn't care about the body or engine apparently. How much did they care about everything else?

You don't have an engine, you don't have a body... what do you have?

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
tbh, there's a lot of replaced parts on it. brand new rear axle. replaced tranny, new rims, tires, brakes, brakelines, etc. i just need to get the engine running because it literally doesn't even have a timing belt on it i checked lol that and a new bed unless there's a way to patch up a rusted bed

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just around here, you can't really find a decent running truck for around a grand.. idk what else to do besides patch this truck up lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Maybe there is hope. It's hard for us to really know. Because we aren't there. All we have is what you write here on the forum and that didn't include a lot of details. We also don't know your skill level and what tools and resources you have available. The bed is easy to replace if you can find one. Many different years will fit.

The engine is another story. First thing would be to get an accurate assessment of what is really wrong with it. Might be as easy as new timing belt. Or it might really need total replacement. If a used engine is readily available for the right price, that may be the best choice. There are many variables to be considered.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Something sounds kind of off with the 'bent valves' here.

As I understand it, the Duratec 2.3 (interference engine, timing chain) didn't end up in Rangers til 2001.

The old Lima 2.3 OHV engine (timing belt) was non-interference ie: breaking the timing belt shouldn't wreck your engine, just your day...

https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2-3l-2-5l-lima-engines-135/1995-xlt-2-3l-interference-not-147774/

That being said, buying a non-runner is always a gamble, best to assume the engine is toast up-front til you find out otherwise. Problem is, if you can't drive it, it's hard to figure out what else might be wrong. Like others have said, think hard before buying something that isn't a good runner PLUS has extensive body rust (are we talking over-the-fenders box rust o r worse.)

Do you have a place to work on this if you are attempting engine work, or a patient friend with lots of tools? If you have a place to work, and tools and a source of parts (eg: pick-a-part yard) and lots of time/ambition, this might be OK as a learning experience (possibly learn not to buy a trck like this again :)). If you have no place to work, and are planning to pay somebody else to fix it up, this could well be an expensive 'cheap' truck. Also the 'legal' bit could bite you if it has to pass some kind of inspection before you can drive it. No idea about your local laws.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
tbh, there's a lot of replaced parts on it. brand new rear axle. replaced tranny, new rims, tires, brakes, brakelines, etc. i just need to get the engine running because it literally doesn't even have a timing belt on it i checked lol that and a new bed unless there's a way to patch up a rusted bed

that changes the game plan.

repair or replace the engine makes sense now. first, check the rear frame for rust.

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yall are extremely helpful on here! Well, the guy that owned this truck didnt seem to know much of what he was talking about. Im tempted to throw a belt on it and see if it starts now... theres no SERIOUS rust, just rusted out bed. I’m even moreso interested in this truck than I was before. How much do beds typically run for?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Like bill said, bent valves on a lima is impossible from a timing belt breaking. Something else is wrong. Assume the engine is a boat anchor. The body is also junk. So your buying a junkyard transmission, axle, and scrap metal. Offer the guy the honest value of that... 250 bucks max. Even if you get in over your head and can't fix it up you can junk the whole thing and get your money back. You can probably get another engine from a junkyard for 200-300 and a new bed for 150. Atleast those are typical prices around here from a u-pull place. Prices vary wildly from state to state though.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
car-part.com

that's a listing of salvage yards, they aren't cheap.
finding one local would be best, if you can find one.

Xorace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You all have helped tremendously. Thank you! I’m gonna go down there sometime this week and slap a timing belt on it and see if it cranks over. If it does, I’m gonna say it’s meant to be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals