• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NP 203 trans. case

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
has anyone know of a video on the right way to work the NP 203 transfer case. I just got a 1978 bronco and it's the full time FWD by my research. On the shift knob it shows LO-loc - LO - N - HI - HI-loc. But all i can can feel is lo-loc all the way toward engine and neutral and toward the seat Hi-loc. I can't feel a LO and Hi in there. This truck has been setting a storage for about six years. The shifter is stiff i have been spraying wd-40 on it. Maybe need to pull shifter out and clean it up. shouldn't you feel all the positions by hand. I am used to the old NP 205 with locking hubs.:shok:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
NP 203 transfer case

Thanks that helped some for sure. But if i get the shifter to working right, what would be the right drive pattern.Would you drive it in Hi and get in a spot go to HI- loc. Or the other way. And same for Lo you drive in Lo and get in a spot go to Lo-loc. Or in Lo-loc get in a bind go to lo. haven't been able to find much info on shift pattern or anything on the shifter. Thanks for you help on that info :shok:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 203 is old school AWD. Hi is the same as a normal AWD vehicle where the transfer case splits power to the front and rear with a open differential type coupling, this is what you use for daily driving. Hi-loc turns it into a regular 4x4 transfer case for offroading by locking the front and rear output shafts together. Lo is AWD but lower gearing, the differential is open so you can drive in lo on the street, good for pulling something heavy or driving in severe inclines on hard surfaces. Lo-loc is locked in low gear duh...used only when stuck in the mud, crawling, or severe off roading. Never use loc gears on pavement!

Simplified, Hi-loc and lo-loc are the same as engaging 4x4 high or 4x4 low on a np205 and only used offroad. Regular Hi and Lo are just open AWD to be used at your discretion on or off road.

Drive down the road you stay in Hi, hit the trail you switch to Hi-loc, you get stuck switch to Lo-loc, need to pull a freight train up a mountain road switch to Lo.

Wanna get more confused buy a doubler kit and mate your np203 to your np205 for a twin stick 4 speed transfer case.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wanna get more confused buy a doubler kit and mate your np203 to your np205 for a twin stick 4 speed transfer case.
Twin stick the 205 for a three sticks! :icon_idea:

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
shifter for NP203

Has anyone seen any info on the shifters that Ford used on the NP203 Tcases. I read somewhere that it was a Hurst , but can't find any info on as for how to taking it a part, how to clean it right. And to maybe find parts for it. Off road design makes a two stick but would like to keep it ome at least for a while.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt Hurst made them.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone seen any info on the shifters that Ford used on the NP203 Tcases. I read somewhere that it was a Hurst , but can't find any info on as for how to taking it a part, how to clean it right. And to maybe find parts for it. Off road design makes a two stick but would like to keep it ome at least for a while.:dunno::dunno::dunno:
Werewolf:
You have a near unicorn; the NP203 in a Ford is rare and one with a Hurst shifter is rare version of that. Note, you can get all 4 combinations: NP shifter/NP shift lever, NP shifter/Hurst shift lever, Hurst shifter/NP shift lever & Hurst shifter/Hurst shift lever;

You can tell if it is the Hurst shifter if it is riveted together. If it is bolted, then it is NP. Now the challenge with the Hurst being rivet - it doesn't come apart and re-assemble easily - you would need to rivet it back together.

Getting the NP 203 to shift into "Loc" is challenging with worn shifter/worn shift forks, especially if vehicle isn't moving/on hard surface.

I played with 203 as option for my 6x6, so know just enough to be dangerous...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals