• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idling 2.0

stan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '83 2.0 with a very rough idle. Jerky acceleration at low speeds too. The last time this happened I found a vacuum leak. Fixed it and then all was good.
Until now. I don't see any leaky hoses. This is not the original engine and so has a few plugged hoses here and there. The vacuum chart on the radiator support has been painted over and I can't find another one anywhere. My biggest question (finally!) is what is on the other end of the pipe coming out of the bottom of the EGR valve. It has one vacuum tube coming out of the top and going to something with three other tubes connected. (I had the name of it yesterday from my Haynes manual, but forget it now).
But.
Coming out of the bottom is a metal flex pipe that I'm guessing would normally go to the exhaust. It's only about 4 inches long and looks to have been longer at some point. Does anyone KNOW where this should go? What looks to be where a normal EGR tube would be hooked up on the exhaust manifold is plugged so I know it wasn't going there.Is there another place? Could it have been plugged?
Hopefully all of my long-windedness is clear, but if you need more info about something just let me know. I searched here for about two hours yesterday...

thanks,
Stan

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, you're as clear as the vacuum diagram even without the paint. Be thankful it is painted over because it is as useful as a woman taking viagara...

Anyway, the pipe from the bottom of the EGR actually wraps around the back of the engine and connects to the top of the exhaust manifold. If the EGR is still connected via vacuum hoses but the pipe is shortened and not plugged properly, that can cause idle and acceleration issues because it is sucking in fresh air just like a vacuum leak.

If the EGR valve is actually stuck open (that you can't tell without taking it apart) then you could have a problem like you've described...

So either make sure that pipe if properly plugged or disconnect the vacuum line from the egr and maybe give it a few raps to try to close it...or take the whole thing off and put a block off plate over that part of the intake.

The valve may be stuck open and you may find the hole plugged up with gunk (nasty stuff). It only takes two bolts to remove it so that might be a good place to start. If it doesn't correct the rough idle then you may want to snap a few pics of the engine bay with the breather removed...might be able to help more with those pics because it's been about 8 years since I tore mine off and tossed it for another intake and carb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals