• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixer Upper trouble shooting

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bed is off. Took it off to replace Leaf Spring brackets when I got her.

I've jacked the frame up til the free hanging rear end floats and cannot get the tank out. Jacked her up by the axle and still can't get it out. Hits the rear axle, either way I get her jacked up.

I read one way saying to slide the tank back to the axle, then force the rear of the tank down, bending the front overhang of the tank, which I do not feel comfortable doing as it is a lot of bending.

I reckon I can only clean the tank on the truck?

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
I've jacked the frame up til the free hanging rear end floats and cannot get the tank out. Jacked her up by the axle and still can't get it out. Hits the rear axle, either way I get her jacked up.
How about scissor style jack used in between the axle and frame to push the axle down to gain more room? I would assume that you'd have to pull the shocks off.. to do so..

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How about scissor style jack used in between the axle and frame to push the axle down to gain more room? I would assume that you'd have to pull the shocks off.. to do so..
Shocks are already off for replacing. I cannot, for the life of me, get enough room to get her out. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable bending the tank enough at the front overhang.

I've bolted the straps back on now, bc I cannot figure her out. Not any posts regarding xtra cab 4x4 fuel tank removal I can find.
All seem to be reg cabs. :shok:

Bench testing the existing pump has her running 6/10 power connects, not withstanding possible dead spots on the connector posts.

Tank has some particles visible inside with a flashlight, but no gum/gunk and the screen on the pump, though yellowed/tanned, looked clear of obstruction.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
do you know if the tank was ever replaced?

Last edited:

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
New pump should be in tomorrow. Tank cleaned out. No gum/varnish after siphoning a gallon and a half out. Couple small bubbles of water in there, but nothing I'd be concerned about.

Still curious about that random click sound, like a relay or solenoid, if anyone has any ideas?

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bump

No one has any clue regarding the random click?

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump was changed last week. No change.

Upper intake removed again, checked tightness of LIM bolts, were loose, but tightened back to spec. She started up nice, no usual immediate stall, but eventually did after several seconds. She still does, as before, will run okay once a few starts are tried, but then after a minute or so, just drop rpms and start surging... no rhyme or reason.

I reckon pulling her apart and getting down to the LIM gasket removal and replacement is next.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
The original IAC for my truck tests okay with ohmmeter but it still is bad gives me a really high idle.

Click,: air conditioning clutch, , cracked exhaust tubing, catalytic converter expanding?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Just food for thought and spit balling here, I have heard manifolds tick while warming up when there is an issue at a seal. Possibly this is what you could be hearing? You can swing by a Harbor Freight and for around $6 bucks or so pick up a stethoscope and hunt for the tick using that. It will help pin point where the noise is coming from.

Usually when I have heard a manifold "tick" the reason was bad gasket, warped mating surfaces and missing or broken bolts. Just keep an eye out for this the next time you tear it down. Also may want to get your hands on a strait edge and feeler gauges to ensure the mating surfaces are within tolerances so you are sure the gaskets will seal properly.

Last edited:

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Denisefwd93, both the old IAC and the new one tested good. Being as the local Vatozone won't accept returns on electrical parts, I am not too keen to buy yet another one.

That click/tic is coming from under the plenum. AC is not on, no freon. Not from exhaust or CC as the sound is definitely from upper motor, under the plenum.

Bgunner, I reckon that would make sense, if the LIM is gone bad. Seems rather unusual to run real bad randomly, though. Figure when gasket goes bad, it would be constant? I have nothing else to point to the LIM gasket failing, though. Smoke testing, Carb cleaner spraying, plugs are all good with no signs of fouling oil or water, no codes.

As an aside, I guess the video of the sound does no justice to how it sounds so much like a solenoid or relay click. Just weird, never heard that before not being a solenoid or relay.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Believe me I know exactly what you're talking about I get so tired of changing parts three and four times just to find one it's finally good,

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Bgunner, I reckon that would make sense, if the LIM is gone bad. Seems rather unusual to run real bad randomly, though. Figure when gasket goes bad, it would be constant? I have nothing else to point to the LIM gasket failing, though. Smoke testing, Carb cleaner spraying, plugs are all good with no signs of fouling oil or water, no codes.

Lets use an exhaust manifold as an example, if there is a broken bolt or two sometimes the noise will go away when warm. This is caused by the metal expanding helping to seal the leak. In this case the sound goes away after running so could be seen as random if someone does not know this can happen. I'm not saying this is the issue but worth a look into, but it seems you already have...

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I get what you're saying, but I am confident it isn't a broken/loose bolt anywhere. It is only when running, randomly & never after a warm run with engine off.

I've exhausted most all of my backyard mechanical ability & I am left with the LIM. After that, the probable $50 fix may be up to my local mechanic when I take her in to have a brake line made. I hope not, though. Not a fan of $80-100 per hour of labor, but I reckon that would have been a good reason for me to be better at doing it myself. Ha!

On a good note, I've repaired the bed damage from the prior neglectful owner allowing the leaf springs to bust through the bed for months after the leaf spring brackets rusted to failure. Have I said how much I hate flux core wire?

acreature

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I took her down to the heads and found a lot of neglect by the prior owner. It is workable though.

Photos attached. I can not find (untrained eye) that shows the LIM gasket failed anywhere. Do you?

There is quite a bit if carbon built up at the injectors, some more than others.

Gasket removed

Thoughts?
Is there anything I should go ahead a check while I am this far in?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals