• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dpfe failure

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
this 94 2.3l has gone through 3 dpfe. it has #4 in and seems to be ok...now. it gave off 337 code koeo, and memory 327, 337. replaced dpfe and light went out without me clearing codes. Does anyone have any clues? I am thinking of cleaning the pipe that connects on the egr valve, since I have read that the dpfe is sensitive to any carbon/dirt etc., that may be in there. I understand there is a orifice in that pipe between the 2 pipes that connect to the hoses on the dpfe. while there, anyone know how to prevent the hoses from heat welding themselves to the small pipes from which it reads exaust pressure? one hose is from auto zone, one from dealer. they are the special hoses for this application. Also, egr valve gasket very well secured to engine side of assembly, how is it advised to remove it? not much room so close to firewall, maybe someone had used an adhesive there, I don't know. BTW, dpfe is mounted on the firewall. thanks in advance

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Some say aftermarket DPFE sensors do not last too long. You might try a boneyard model, but don't pay too much unless they guarantee it for at least 90 days. PigiinaPoke if they offer no warranty on their electricals.
The hoses are indeed special, and costly. I would go again with a dealer part even at more expense as I know nothing about the after market hoses. If you have had good luck with a particular brand, that might be nice to share.
tom

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Tom, use a Motor Craft DPFE,
three checks on an EGR system
1, are the passages ,clear? engine should drop at least 100 rpm at idle with valve opened, really should just about kill the engine if passages are good and clear
2, is the diaphram good? will the egr valve hold vacuum? if it bleeds off or does not hold at all its bad, very rare on these fords
3, is the egr valve getting the right amount of vacuum at the right time, Vacuum supply, egr-evr, drive down the road with gauge under wiper arm or similar with green line attatched to guage, under light to med. load you should see 5 to 8 inches of vacuum

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
dpfe etc.

what of the cleaning out the pipe? HOW TO REMOVE THE STUCK ON GASKET? thanks everyone.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I have seen a ball peen hammer used on stuck on gaskets. Using the rounded side, tapping lightly all over the gasket, and it seemed to come loose readily afterward.
I tried it on a gasket with some success. Remainder removed with a putty knife or blade.
tom

craig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
egr gasket is glued solidly on the engine side of assembly. this gives very little space to get at it, so close to firewall. prior, I had done the 3 checks to egr system, well 2 of them, I did not have access to a plain vac checker, so doing the driving test, I did not. the other components did pass however. thanks for your consideration

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals