• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delta vs Comp 410

swtjames23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Anybody have first hand experience comparing Comp Cams' 410 and Delta Cam's "Torque grind"?

If not, at least some feedback about Delta. I've read about the 410, seems good but it's $277. Delta wants only $73 to regrind my cam to what they say is very similar to the 410.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I dont have experience with the delta cam grind but be wary of using their rocker shafts, the sealed power rockers are superior imo they have bigger oil holes and much larger pads where the rocker rides the valve. I got 12 on ebay for $140 and 1/2 labor for a machine shop to replace them. Worth the extra dough. 5.550" overall length pushrods and 3/16" closed ball end, and 5/16" tube on the pushrods from smith bros, cost me $85 for all 12 shipped. I dont care what anyone says u must use dual valve springs comp pn# 988-12.

swtjames23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input

92rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
CP2295

I have a 92 ranger 4.0 auto. My donor engine is from a 94 explorer. I have the 410 comp cam ill be installing. I see you have installed yours a few years ago. Would you mind answering a few questions?

What is the power increase I can expect to see from this cam? strange no one has posted numbers that ive seen so far ( Im doing: headers, exhaust, cam, Efan, and BBK TB. )

Is this cam install just like the oem cam? or will i have to degree it?

I called smithbros they said there are two lengths and i have to choose they cant tell me with one i need. The one you mentioned and a shorter one. adding to this i saw this posted on abother thread: Intake needs to add .081 to the pushrods
Exhaust needs to add .098 to the pushrods. So I need different length for intake/exhaust?

You mentioned in another post that you used stock springs on yours. Then said you must use comp 988 springs on this post. can you clarify?

Ive also read that some people used the comp springs on stock head and retainers? can I just get new oem style springs or do i need the comp ones?

I called Mizpah Precision about the rebuilt lifters but the number is not in service. My donor engine ticks on first startup when cold. thats why i wanted to rebuild the lifters. any other places to do so?

The engines not apart yet so I dont know the rocker conditions yet. If they dont look bad can i reuse them? does any one make a good roller rocker setup for this engine that would be same price as changing to sealed power ones?

Appreciate any infor I can get. Im trying to get the ball rolling. Im suprised there is no sticky for this cam swap infor.

donor truck engine has 105K has good power runs good. Not a rod knock or exhaust leak. definitely a top engine tick when cold

I dont have experience with the delta cam grind but be wary of using their rocker shafts, the sealed power rockers are superior imo they have bigger oil holes and much larger pads where the rocker rides the valve. I got 12 on ebay for $140 and 1/2 labor for a machine shop to replace them. Worth the extra dough. 5.550" overall length pushrods and 3/16" closed ball end, and 5/16" tube on the pushrods from smith bros, cost me $85 for all 12 shipped. I dont care what anyone says u must use dual valve springs comp pn# 988-12.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
CP2295

I have a 92 ranger 4.0 auto. My donor engine is from a 94 explorer. I have the 410 comp cam ill be installing. I see you have installed yours a few years ago. Would you mind answering a few questions?

What is the power increase I can expect to see from this cam? strange no one has posted numbers that ive seen so far ( Im doing: headers, exhaust, cam, Efan, and BBK TB. )

Is this cam install just like the oem cam? or will i have to degree it?

I called smithbros they said there are two lengths and i have to choose they cant tell me with one i need. The one you mentioned and a shorter one. adding to this i saw this posted on abother thread: Intake needs to add .081 to the pushrods
Exhaust needs to add .098 to the pushrods. So I need different length for intake/exhaust?

You mentioned in another post that you used stock springs on yours. Then said you must use comp 988 springs on this post. can you clarify?

Ive also read that some people used the comp springs on stock head and retainers? can I just get new oem style springs or do i need the comp ones?

I called Mizpah Precision about the rebuilt lifters but the number is not in service. My donor engine ticks on first startup when cold. thats why i wanted to rebuild the lifters. any other places to do so?

The engines not apart yet so I dont know the rocker conditions yet. If they dont look bad can i reuse them? does any one make a good roller rocker setup for this engine that would be same price as changing to sealed power ones?

Appreciate any infor I can get. Im trying to get the ball rolling. Im suprised there is no sticky for this cam swap infor.

donor truck engine has 105K has good power runs good. Not a rod knock or exhaust leak. definitely a top engine tick when cold

You’re gonna have a lot more supporting mods than I do. I had headers on my truck but did not like them, they helped higher rpm but killed low end which is what a 4.0 is made to do. That being said my low rpm power is about stock, and midrange definitely picks up better, I can’t speak for exact hp since it’s never seen a dyno. Personally I would have a stock cam in mine if I were to do it again, valvetrain is kind of noisy and idle is rough (which is cool and all but gets old). Just install it like you would an oem cam.

Use the lengths I gave for all 12 and you shouldn’t have a problem.

I thought my rockers were destroying themselves and the valve tips because of spring bind (according to the machinist). However that wasn’t the case. It was because the delta cam hold down pads for the rocker shaft (where the bolts go through the shaft to hold it to the head) didn’t line up correctly and my angles were off and chewing up the rockers/valve tips. So just use stock springs and your stock rocker shafts and you’ll be good as long as you aren’t bringing it to the redline all the time haha.

99/100 times a 4.0 ticks it’s because the rockers and pushrods are worn to hell where they ride on each other. I would not get the lifters rebuilt if you find this to be the case. They’ll be fine and probably much better than any China junk you can buy now (or get them rebuilt with).

I’m pretty sure Tom morano has roller rockers. They are crazy speedy so really not worth it unless you’re loaded and trying to go nuts with a 4.0.

92rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with that information. I just got off the phone with smith bros. Rods should be here next week. We didnt even talk about a price, lol hope its still between 85 to 100.00.

This truck has been a long time coming. Back in 04 it blew a head gasket and it was left for dead on the grass. Then in 05 my father wanted to get another motor for it but with more power. The 5.0 swap at the time seemed to expensive. So he figure another 30hp or so would be better then nothing. So I found every bolt on they made for it and bought it. then hard times came and the truck sat again for 13 years. I wish now that we went the 5.0 route instead now. But I guess this will just have to do now. At least the engine bay wont be so tight.

Once the truck is done ill come back here and post a dyno number, so that maybe the next person will know if its worth it. I havent found any infor on expected power improvements with full bolt ons. im hoping for 30hp at least.

ill be taking the valve covers off this week, we will see how bad the rockers are. thanks again for the help.

92rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
How long ago did you get the push rods from smith bros for 85.00? They charged me 146.00 shipped

92rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Incase anyone was planning to order these rods. The current price Oct 2018 from smith bros is 126.00 plus 20.41 shipping.

So for anyone counting or looking to get this cam, the comp 410. Heres what you should expect to pay:

300.00 for cam
146.00 push rods
40.00 stock valve springs

486.00 if you dont need rockers. 600.00 if you do. Good luck to you all. I hope its worth 15chp at least.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
How long ago did you get the push rods from smith bros for 85.00? They charged me 146.00 shipped

Like 3 years ago. Seems a little too inflated for only 3 years lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals