• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV noise

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Okay started truck in the morning to circulate coolant before I flush it to change radiator. Forgot about it. Got back from lunch and trucks making a weird noise. Not overheating but probably got hot for a few minutes (radiator is bad coolant system gets air trapped in it).

Noise partially goes away when I press the clutch, don't think its the pilot bearing although that may be some of it. Oil looks fine, sounds like its coming from the engine, only notice it at idle and low revs when I touch the gas. Doesn't sound like any lifter or rod bearing i've heard, not very consistent.

Only thing I can come up with at the moment is timing chain tensioner/guides? Unknown miles on the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6Xcj8Z6T0&

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Get underneath see if your catalytic converter is rattling

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When engine is COLD loosen fan belt and remove it from crank pulley, then start the engine
See if you hear the noise, if not then noise is from one of the fan belt pulleys, check them.

DO NOT FORGET about it this time, you should only run COLD engine without water pump for 2 minutes.

Also with fan belt off, engine bay will be VERY QUIET, no fan noise, so if you still hear the noise it might be easier to pin point

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
When engine is COLD loosen fan belt and remove it from crank pulley, then start the engine
See if you hear the noise, if not then noise is from one of the fan belt pulleys, check them.

DO NOT FORGET about it this time, you should only run COLD engine without water pump for 2 minutes.

Also with fan belt off, engine bay will be VERY QUIET, no fan noise, so if you still hear the noise it might be easier to pin point
I’ve never heard a bad tensioner sound like this. Usually just the bearing destroys itself. I’ve got it got quite a few times but doesn’t show signs of head gasket failure. Noise goes away with rpm so I’m stumped with this one.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ron's advice is quite good, suggest you try it. Video is good but not that good it sounds like the catalytic converter to me.

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Ron's advice is quite good, suggest you try it. Video is good but not that good it sounds like the catalytic converter to me.
There’s no cat on the truck it’s internal or transmission

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Why is there no cat?

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
The exhaust was trashed when I took it out to put a new trans in and I made the cheapest exhaust possible

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
oh boy.. that don't sound good at all.. Looks like lots of low rpm vibration going on

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
input shaft bearing? Isn't pilot bearing noise more of a constant noise if it goes bad?

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
input shaft bearing? Isn't pilot bearing noise more of a constant noise if it goes bad?
I thought that but driving it shifting gears makes no difference. Gonna pull the timing cover when I pull the rad hopefully find something. It’s had a lifter or rod knock for a second at startup after sitting since I got it but this doesn’t sound like that at all.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought that but driving it shifting gears makes no difference. Gonna pull the timing cover when I pull the rad hopefully find something. It’s had a lifter or rod knock for a second at startup after sitting since I got it but this doesn’t sound like that at all.
On cold start you can use "Clear Flooded Engine" routine to get oil circulated before startup
I use this every morning on my high mile 4.0l engine

Turn key on
Press gas pedal down to the floor and HOLD IT DOWN all the way
(when computer "sees" Full Throttle/WOT, and 0 RPMs it turns OFF fuel injectors)
You are now in "Clear Flooded Engine" routine

Now crank the engine, it should not start or fire, no fuel
After 5-10 second or so release gas pedal and computer will start fuel injectors, and no Knock noise on startup

If engine starts with gas pedal to the floor then your throttle cable has stretched, so you no longer have WOT.
Google: Ranger throttle cable mod

Simple, cheap and effective fix, you will be surprised on how much more power you have now :)

Last edited:

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled calve covers d timing cover and unfortunately found nothing so i guess it busted a piston skirt when it got hot idling. Gonna throw it all back together with some 15w-40 hopefully get me by for a bit.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Pulled calve covers d timing cover and unfortunately found nothing so i guess it busted a piston skirt when it got hot idling. Gonna throw it all back together with some 15w-40 hopefully get me by for a bit.
Didn't take the belt off per Ron's advice?

fordrangerforumuser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazdo
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't take the belt off per Ron's advice?
No, I pulled the timing cover without taking the belt or any accessories off.

I think I've isolated the noise to the transmission. I've had a whine in gears 1-3 and 5-R for a while now progressively getting worse (thought it was just louder because I took out my carpet.)

If I turn the crank back and forth by hand in neutral or 1-3 5-r I get a loud clunking noise. I do not get that noise in 4th. 4th gear should lock the input and output shafts together which would explain the noise, and all the metal shaving on the trans plug. Fluid was dark, engine oil looked good minus some water from when I pulled the timing cover.

Hopefully I still have a warranty on the transmission, not looking forward to swapping it out again but at least its light enough to manhandle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals