• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this mystery box? 94 4.0L

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All,

I am not a car person (but trying to be one). While digging under the hood of my 94 Ranger 4.0L 4x4, I saw this box between the battery and the radiator (on driver's side) and a disconnected line. Looks like the rubber elbow is rotted. I followed the line and it appears to connect around the throttle body area.

No telling how long it's been like this. I've attached a top-down pic of the box. Looks like there are large ports on top as well.

What is this box? What purpose does the disconnected line server?
Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Vapor canister. It stores fuel that would otherwise have evaporated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, EVAP system charcoal canister

Connector is called a SPOUT connector, it "was" used to set Base Spark timing for electronic distributors, it could now be used to diagnose ICM(ignition control module) and/or computer Spark advance issues.
If disconnected engine will start and run but would have no computer assist with spark advance, so run sluggish and hestitate

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you both. I appreciate it. My engine doesn't seem to hestitate but it does feel like it ever so slightly surges when idling. I may connect this back up and see if it resolves things.

A google search also indicates there are caps that go on the two ports on top. No idea where those went so I'll try to buy some more.

EDIT: Can someone post a link of where I can buy a new spout connector? Looking around a few sites and not seeing much. Thanks!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you both. I appreciate it. My engine doesn't seem to hestitate but it does feel like it ever so slightly surges when idling. I may connect this back up and see if it resolves things.
I think you misunderstand. The plug you pictured is not disconnected. The little grey slug in the connector is a jumper that connects the two wires to each other. If you remove it you will disable the computer's ability to command spark advance.

A google search also indicates there are caps that go on the two ports on top. No idea where those went so I'll try to buy some more.
Not all of them had caps.

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you misunderstand. The plug you pictured is not disconnected. The little grey slug in the connector is a jumper that connects the two wires to each other. If you remove it you will disable the computer's ability to command spark advance.

Not all of them had caps.
Ah, I see. What I was referring to was the hose that's unplugged from the box:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
That box is the charcoal canister. The hose that is disconnected is either the intake into the canister or output to the intake manifold. This box is for emissions and is operated by a solenoid to burn gas fumes from the tank.

To tell which line it is follow the line to see if it goes to the intake manifold/solenoid, if so then it is the output side of the canister.

Last edited:

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you all for the help. I'm new to working on my truck (or any car). I replaced the rotted hose elbow and hooked it back up without any issues.

Would the idle of the truck be impacted if this was not connected? It seems like the idle was better after I connected it but that could be placebo effect or something.

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals