• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pressure gauge, or updated idiot light?

Effieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ever since my last oil change, my oil pressure gauge doesn't immediately go up on the first cold start of the day. The colder it is, the longer it takes to register, the longest time being about 7 seconds.
Then started thinking...The oil pressure always just jumps right up to the half-way point on the gauge and stays there, no matter the temp or RPMs.
I've known others with older Rangers with aftermarket oil pressure gauges that would read from 5 to 45 psi.
Does anyone know if the sending unit is simply a on-off pressure switch? Or, do I need to start worrying about something here?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, from late 1980's all Rangers switched to Oil Pressure Switch, Below 5psi OFF(no ground), above 5psi ON(grounded)

Gauge is preset with resistors to read in "Normal Range" when Grounded, any movement of needle while engine is running is a change in VOLTAGE not oil pressure, just FYI

Unless you have a specific use for actual oil pressure then replace the switch, could just be going bad, or tube in it might be gummed up.

You can use a PS60 oil pressure sender with an electric oil pressure gauge.
1994 and earlier Ranger gauges could be converted to use the PS60
After that the resistors were built into the gauge so you couldn't convert them

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
yes an on off switch with a needle

Effieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys.....I feel better now.
But curious about how long it's gonna take for a reading when it gets cold out...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be instant, so most likely the passage in the sender or where it screws into is clogged up with gunk.
Remove sender, disable spark!!!!!, crank engine with towel/rag in place to catch any oil that comes out
Put in new sender/switch

If its a single wire Sender then make sure to leave a few threads of bare metal so it gets a good Ground to engine, don't "tape the sh!t out of it", lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals