• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How many miles on your 4.0?

spittinfire

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Hey Guys, I've spent a lot of time on this website but lately I haven't been on much at all, thanks to a new job. I know there was a thread on this subject on the old site and since my truck is getting up in miles I thought I'd ask. I know there are a lot of variables to how long an engine will last but I just wanted to see how many miles some of you guys have on your 4.0s. I'm curious because I like my truck and I really don't want to have to start thinking about a new one or car payments. I think if it died I'd rather rebuild the engine but I'd like to just drive it for a few more years. I've currently got 235,000 miles on mine and it runs like a top. Doesn't use oil, has a slight leak at the back of the intake manifold, doesn't knock, and still has good power. So what do you guys have?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
um I just rolled 123k the other day :) I really dont drive my truck thanks to taking the lightrail for free. gotta love a free commute!

zedx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
little over 150K so far.

make that 175xxx so far.

Last edited:

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have about 146K (might be 246K, but judging by the condition of the interior, I am thinking it is 146K) on mine. It is still going strong too!

rags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
94 4.0 Auto, just turned 196K and engine still runs great. Tranny went at 185K was rebuilt and hopeing for another 185K

PL1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got 205,XXX on mine. I lose a quart of oil every 2500-2700 miles. Don't know where it goes? It doesn't smoke and don't have a puddle under it? It is starting to clatter a little, first start-up on these cold Michigan mornings. But all in all very happy with it.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've got 3 4.0L's. one with 232,000/ one with 240,000/ and another with 86,000 miles. All good runners. RB

alpac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 4.0 with 139k on it. Runs like a champ. No leak, does not consume oil, tranny works great.

Woody88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
91 expl. 33Xk kms rebuilt before i bout it though, ran great before i parked it.

regnardrof39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have about 135k on mine i blew a heater hose on it and i drove to the nearest lake to fill the water back up and now it knocks on start up. soon ill be starting a 5.0 swap

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I've got 205,XXX on mine. I lose a quart of oil every 2500-2700 miles. Don't know where it goes? It doesn't smoke and don't have a puddle under it? It is starting to clatter a little, first start-up on these cold Michigan mornings. But all in all very happy with it.
it is getting burned. your catyletic converter is burning it so you don't see the smoke.

AJ

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger Miles

The 99 Ranger I have had 250~ K miles on it when I pulled the engine, replaced three freeze plugs, the oil filter and water pump. I was expecting to drive it another 50K at least. From what I could tell when I tore it down, that would have worked.

I took it outonly because after I reinstalled the motor - did not notice that I had put the heater hoses in a strain by routing them improperly. A plastic connector on the heater control (it's all plastic) broke while I was on the freeway. Before I could get off and find a place to stop the motor was blazing hot. After I fixed the part - a head was cracked.

When I looked at the bearings I could see there was a lot of wear but the clearances were pretty good.. The cylinders might have 5 to 7 thousandths of taper and about a 15 thousandth's (max) ring at the the top of the cylinder. The cam had no flat or ugly spots. The timing chain was not even very loose.

Use the new high mileage oil and really give the cooling system a good flush - the small passages in my cylinder heads were pretty close to clogged. Take a look at that plastic heater valve and replace it if it looks old. Mine had gotten hard and brittle. You should get lots more miles out of it.

JohnPi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
240k. Truck in sig. As long as the starter spins, it starts and runs. Not as spry as it was when I bought it with 80k, but it'll get up on the freeway and run with the dogs, and still get 18mpg on a regular basis. Can't ask for much more from a truck that's been paid off for 9 years.

96xltV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bought it this year, had 182k, now with 193k, and i think its burning coolant. thats on the dash, real mileage unknown (supposedly at 160k an 80k engine was dropped in it) but the 5th injectors plug was on upside down for 30k miles..
im gonna do a coolant flush soon.

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i've got 152xxx on mine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals