• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Swap Questions

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
Having done an 01 Ex 5.0 into a 99 V6 Ranger 4x4. I'd say as must haves are grab the following: power steering cooler, the trans, the gas pedal, the throttle cable, the trans cooling lines, the PS high pressure line, the ECM the radiator, the harness.
As nice to haves grab the following: the cruise control box (engine compartment box), the air con switch connections, the seats and center console, steering wheel and seat belt alarm connectors. Have fun, don't over do it on any single day (dont work super hard over 12+ hours a day to try and catch up) Trust that last hour of mistakes will set you back a few hours the next day.
And pay the premium on good parts!
I'm happy to give any info I may have per specific questions. Feel free to ask

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

-Ghosty-

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having done an 01 Ex 5.0 into a 99 V6 Ranger 4x4. I'd say as must haves are grab the following: power steering cooler, the trans, the gas pedal, the throttle cable, the trans cooling lines, the PS high pressure line, the ECM the radiator, the harness.
As nice to haves grab the following: the cruise control box (engine compartment box), the air con switch connections, the seats and center console, steering wheel and seat belt alarm connectors. Have fun, don't over do it on any single day (dont work super hard over 12+ hours a day to try and catch up) Trust that last hour of mistakes will set you back a few hours the next day.
And pay the premium on good parts!
I'm happy to give any info I may have per specific questions. Feel free to ask

Thanks a lot Franken5liter. I will definitely keep you in mind!:icon_thumby:
I assume your hi-pressure line for the power steering from the explorer just worked on yours? I recall reading the older trucks need the side for the steering box swapped out?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I assume your hi-pressure line for the power steering from the explorer just worked on yours?
Yeah I have a 2000 5.0 in a 98 4x4 ranger. The high pressure power steering line along with the cooler bolted right up. I used some rubber trans line for the return instead of the metal one because I could route it the way I wanted to.

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
Yeah I have a 2000 5.0 in a 98 4x4 ranger. The high pressure power steering line along with the cooler bolted right up. I used some rubber trans line for the return instead of the metal one because I could route it the way I wanted to.
Definitely easier to use rubber trans line. Looking back I wish I would have done this! Haha hindsight is always 20/20. The metal ones are a bear because they are in like 5 different pieces or something, definitely a jig saw puzzle type fit.
Rubber trans line for sure.

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
I assume your hi-pressure line for the power steering from the explorer just worked on yours? I recall reading the older trucks need the side for the steering box swapped out?
I do believe you're right on the older rangers (pre 99). For my application the high press PS line worked in terms of the fitting into the steering rack. Not sure why, but I did have to cut the hose a bit to have the line length match the cooler. Gett iij ng the hose over the cooler nipple was a crazy wrestling match because hi-press PS line ain't no beeotch but I won finally and used a hard core hose clamp as good measure against coming off.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Definitely easier to use rubber trans line. Looking back I wish I would have done this! Haha hindsight is always 20/20. The metal ones are a bear because they are in like 5 different pieces or something, definitely a jig saw puzzle type fit.
Rubber trans line for sure.

I tried installing the metal return line for about five minutes and said piss on this and bought some trans line lol. :icon_hornsup:

-Ghosty-

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Which way of adapting the engine works the "best"? The mustang convertible mounts, or just using the plate steel with holes for the 4.0 mounts?

Didn't get much on peoples opinions on that with a search, just that they both work. lol

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Im curious now about the one thing ford always bastarized....

The Econoline.

When did they all switch? Logic says they followed the Fseries, but is there possibly OBD II 351/460 econolines runnin around out there?
You can find an OBDII 351 in a 96 Bronco.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Which way of adapting the engine works the "best"? The mustang convertible mounts, or just using the plate steel with holes for the 4.0 mounts?

Didn't get much on peoples opinions on that with a search, just that they both work. lol
I used the convertable mounts.

I am not overly thrilled with them, if I had to do it again (or if I have to pull the engine) I am going to try V6 mounts with plates.

I cut one notch a little too far down and the engine mount wants to keep sliding down the slot which makes the oil pan hit the crossemember. I have a piece of steel stuck in the slot so it can't do it now but it still bugs me. Also they seem to place the engine low.

-Ghosty-

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the convertable mounts.

I am not overly thrilled with them, if I had to do it again (or if I have to pull the engine) I am going to try V6 mounts with plates.

I cut one notch a little too far down and the engine mount wants to keep sliding down the slot which makes the oil pan hit the crossemember. I have a piece of steel stuck in the slot so it can't do it now but it still bugs me. Also they seem to place the engine low.
Thanks! I appreciate your response, I was learning towards the plates, but wasn't sure if the plates were better overall since it seems a lot simpler from the get go.

How do you like the M5ODR2 in your truck? That is the transmission I was thinking of using, just can't seem to locate the the top cover from a 97+f150 to convert the one I have from a 93 f150 for the better shifter location.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fits nice... while I had the interior out to do the trans swap I had the brainy idea to fix the floor... and then winter came. I haven't even started the engine yet.

The older M5OD's (like 302 era) had steel shift forks, the later ones had thicker aluminum shift forks. The grooves in the shift collars are smaller on the older transmissions so the newer shift forks won't fit into them.

The 4wd ones are a bear to find, it took me a couple years to snag one. Most 4.2 manuals are 2wd and most 4wd manuals are 4.6... which makes the 4wd 4.2 manual kind of a rare bird. If your truck is 2wd turning up a later trans shouldn't be too hard.

-Ghosty-

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like something I would do.... Or perhaps have already done, and won't admit.
I do really like your truck though, that body style is just too good looking.

I was under the assumption the top covers would just swap, so this is news to me. Could you swap the older style shift forks onto the newer cover perhaps?
Yes the truck is 2wd, hard as it is to say... I have too many 4wds, don't need another.

Haven't had much luck finding one actually, least that isn't from ebay, or some place that wants far more than I am willing to pay for the transmission (read too much over 100$) lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like something I would do.... Or perhaps have already done, and won't admit.
I do really like your truck though, that body style is just too good looking.
Thanks!

I was under the assumption the top covers would just swap, so this is news to me. Could you swap the older style shift forks onto the newer cover perhaps?
You are on your own there, I don't know of anybody that has attempted it. I have pondered if it would be possible though.

I have also heard that the older style shifter placement isn't THAT horrible either, if you root around here a little there is one guy that has and says it isn't too bad.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the M5ODR2 in mine and it's okay--no speed shifting but it gets the job done. Mine is from a1994 and tried to swap the top cover. The aluminum shifter forks are too wide for the older trans with the steel forks and it won't work. With the flat steel engine mount plates on the original V6 mounts I was able to get the engine back far enough to use the original trans mount and my shifter is 3/4" from the dash in 1/3/5 gear. I did have to drill a new hole in the driver side mount to get it mounted there, but 25k later it's sitting pretty.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Which shifter forks are stronger?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals