• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ranger XLT 4wd not working

jetblack02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
02' XLT Ext. Cab, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 4.10 Trac-Loc, Dynomax Ultraflow Cat. back.
Hey guys, when it first got cold around my area, I went to drive my truck around. It was icy so i thought 4WD was a safe option. Switched it into 4-Hi, light never came on, but I heard the clicking, and could feel the front axle being fed power. Got close to home and decided to turn 4wd off. The module stopped clicking after the first engagement, and then would not come out of 4-Hi. Did some investigating on line an thought my issue was the selector switch in the cab. Replaced that, the module started clicking again and it came out of 4wd, but now it won't go back into either 4-hi or low.

So, to summarize:
4WD selector module IS clicking
4-Hi and Lo light's come on when truck is started
Transfercase never switches into 4-Hi or Lo

With a large ice storm coming into my area late this week, I would appreciate speedy response since i have to travel in this weather.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tap/hit the electric transfer case motor then try to change to 4hi

The brushes in these motors get dirty and stick so no electrical connection.
Once that starts to happen you need to rebuild motor or replace it, because it will be intermittent at best.

The clicking is the Relays in the 4x4 module, they send 12volts and Ground to the motor, but two are needed so Polarity can be reversed, so motor can be turned Clockwise or Counter clockwise depending on what you select and what selection it was in.

The lights should come on with the key, but that is just a bulb test, not 4x4 test.
When you select 4high, for example, the relays send power to the motor, the motor turns the transfer case shift rod and ALSO a contact wheel on the motor, the contact wheel is what turns on the 4x4 lights and also tells 4x4 module where the motor is at, i.e. 2WD, 4hi, 4low, so it knows when to turn off power to motor and where motor/shifter is if you make another selection.

This thread has pictures of all these parts: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

Best practice is to shift transfer case into 4hi and then 4low and then back to 2WD once a month, don't have to move the truck just shift the transfer case, keeps the motor brushes and contact wheel cleaner, sitting for long periods without being used, IMO, is what causes the problems.
But they do wear out, being moving parts and all, but my 1994 shift motor is still going strong, never been off and still working fine

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals