• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lima to duratec

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
Cliffs running a 2.3 duratec with the Lima’s EEC IV?

Lima injector resistance and duratec are same, both have 32T reluctor wheels for the crank pickup, for spark just use primary coil pack, I get I’ll likely have to rewire all the engine related connectors. Swirl flap control, micro switch trigger by throttle position? Or just remove them before they get sucked into the cylinders.

Fuel and spark tables........

Nothing really wrong with the current engine, lil a startup rattle sometimes. I’m just bored with it, not interested in building it, I could probably run it another 100k as is, the a4ld won’t last that long, liking the near 200lbs of weight savings, been wanting a 5 speed anyway, with the duratec I could swap in a Miata 6spd lol..

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Putting a pre-2004 duratec with the intake runner control system in your truck as a replacement for a Lima is like wiping before you poop... baffling and pointless. 2004+ I could understand because they ditched the dumb intake and made a few other changes that made the engine a solid platform.The IRC system on the early duratecs was a disaster of epic proportions and a step backwards in terms of reliability over the Lima. Still... yea the d-tec is lighter and makes more power but it would literally be the same effort to swap in ANY other motor, so again, why? Not trying to rag on you. I drive an 09 d-tec and love it. Just seems like a sorta useless swap especially since you say the Lima still runs good. If I were going to go through all the work I'd just go 4.0 or 5.0. Or get weird with it! Put a straight 6 in it or turbo the lima! But a 2.3 to 2.3 swap? Eh... at least ditch the IRC.

Last edited:

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
Early 2.3 duratecs that bad huh? finding info these days. plenty of other manifolds.

I'm not interested in V engines for this truck especially windsors & colognes I6 while smooth is too long for my patience in an rvb bay. volvo t5 would suit but too many hoops, same with the merc diesel, I guess that's my ultimate goal a swap with the biggest gains not just power but all aspects with the fewest hoops. if I were to suffer myself into a V id use a 4.6.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well if you are going to all that trouble already you might as well hold out for an ecoboost version. Won't be much more work. Would be a lot more power.

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
well step one in this "wiping first" swap is yanking a harness and eec V ecm from a 95-97 ranger, three to choose from at the gettin spot.
Going obd2 with mass air. If I and this furd survive that I'll move on to the duratec.

Still have the itch to try itb's the later lima intake seems made for them, but not sure I want to invest in a tweecer or ms or all the other supporting mods....

As for an ecoboost, "not much more work" :icon_rofl: it will be a few more years till they start showing up at the gettin spots I go to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals