• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1.9 turbo diesel

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys thinking of putting a 1.9 vw turbo diesel in my ranger, the mechanical one. just wondering on what trannys i can run behind them and also what kinde of horsepower and torque that i could get out of it. im hopping to have atleast 200 hp and around 350 ft lb. wondering if it possible and what kinde of upgrades i would need??

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I was well on my way for that very swap, then got laid off.

I really don't think you're going to hit those numbers unless you know exactly what your doing (I.E.,there's no reason you would ever need a message board), or spend some very serious $$$ on a professional tune and rebuild, at least if you want to see any real life-span out of it. Even then you're running it close to max, and a good chance it'll blow up anyways.

A mechanical engine would not come close to the numbers of a computer controlled engine.

A simple chip would get you to around 110 HP and 180 lb/ft ish of torque (Up from 90 HP and 160lb/ft). You can squeeze a tiny bit more out with injectors before you really start smoking (and at that point you're just wasting fuel). Crank her up a little more and you're going to be doing mechanical upgrades / rebuilding it.

There are no RWD tranny's (stateside) that bolt up to the 1.9L TDI to my knowledge. You will need an adapter.

There was a guy in Canada that had one in his '97 Ranger.

Last edited:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why??? i could get better performance out of an early ranger perkins with a turbo, injectors, and a pump. all while being 10x as reliable. AND, its basically a bolt-in deal.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
why??? i could get better performance out of an early ranger perkins with a turbo, injectors, and a pump. all while being 10x as reliable. AND, its basically a bolt-in deal.
Huh?

Try finding parts for that engine. And no, they're not nearly as reliable. They're an industrial engine cranked up with barely enough power to move the truck around. The VW diesel is intended as an automotive engine and has a rather long service record and much more massly (is that even a word?) produced, as compared to only a few ever manufactured diesel Rangers, usually in dire need of a rebuild or with cracked heads.

Usually I make an attempt not to criticize others ideas, but I truly believe that 10x reliability is completely unfounded. There is also WAY more thought and tuning involved than the mods you suggested to achieve his desired power. And it's only bolt in if you are very lucky and find a complete, working, truck.

Last edited:

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is what I want to do also.

Do you have the VW engine?
How about the Ranger?

I have an extra 2.9 belhousing
and a 1.5 VW diesel ... same bolt pattern as the 1.9

I can get my machine shop to make adaptor kits
Anyone in

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Nope, was in the process of saving for it, but pretty much all of that is gone now. I still had some other parts to track down as well. Though in the meantime I'm still re-arranging my shed so I can actually accomplish the swap in an actual legitimate time span lol.

I did some work for friends, and combined with all the new tools and parts I acquired for my other Ranger (see sig), I was pretty much left with a 2'x2' work bench area lol. I have things laying out under towels because I have no where else to put them.

The VW engines really are one of the best for swaps. Power, weight, economy, aftermarket support. Back when I first started researching diesel swaps (years ago) they were still working out the bugs swapping them, only a few had trickled into the junkyards. They've really come a long way as to how to set them up.

It'll probably take me a year to get back to where I was. :bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I believe the 1.9 is a common ( or at least heard-of) swap for some yota and sami guys so you may have more luck searching through that realm.

I have a friend swapping an early 80's Mercedes 5 cyl diesel into his 92 4Runner, and it bolted up to the stock tranny after re-drilling the flywheel and/or an adapter. I know nothing about the motor, just that he's doing it.

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so what kind of numbers can i expect from the 1.9 this is gona be for a trail truck. already started the project with the rear 4 link, next is the 609 with custom radius arm and then comes the motor. im thinking 5 13 gears and probly about 40s. im a gona be good to turn them ??

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Theres a guy on youtube (daves farm) that did this swap to his dodge mini van and he said hes getting 35 mpg with it. From the looks of it he has had great luck with it in his van and he shows him driving it and it doesnt look like it lugs around. He got his engine for free.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Huh?

Try finding parts for that engine. And no, they're not nearly as reliable. They're an industrial engine cranked up with barely enough power to move the truck around. The VW diesel is intended as an automotive engine and has a rather long service record and much more massly (is that even a word?) produced, as compared to only a few ever manufactured diesel Rangers, usually in dire need of a rebuild or with cracked heads.

Usually I make an attempt not to criticize others ideas, but I truly believe that 10x reliability is completely unfounded. There is also WAY more thought and tuning involved than the mods you suggested to achieve his desired power. And it's only bolt in if you are very lucky and find a complete, working, truck.
the perkins is far from "cranked up" in stock form. the thing is, in order to make power with the perkins, you need to be very "crafty" i guess you could say. a metric sh!t ton of parts (bigger pumps and injectors) for example will interchange with other industrial perkins engines. there are turbo versions of the engine and something could easily be rigged up. before i decided on the 302 swap, i wanted a diesel ranger BAD. and after speaking to numerous friends in the industrial/heavy duty diesel field we've concluded that 200+ reliable horses are possible out of that motor...

keep in mind, the perkins motor has MUCH heavier castings than the vw motor since it's intended for industrial use. this construction lends itself to higher performance setups.

while all of that sounds great, the number one reason i'm for the perkins is because its such a simple, practically bolt in install.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
so what kind of numbers can i expect from the 1.9 this is gona be for a trail truck. already started the project with the rear 4 link, next is the 609 with custom radius arm and then comes the motor. im thinking 5 13 gears and probly about 40s. im a gona be good to turn them ??
you are firmly in 4bt territory with those goals. unless you can keep the weight down under 3500. or you only need to do slow technical wheelin.

power numbers can be made but tire speed and the amount of time an engine is maxxed out puts the 1.9 out of the picture in my eyes. the 1.9 is ideal for a small low 2wd though.

there is a specific reason i put a 6.5 diesel in my ranger....overall use and the engines simplicity and operating charactoristics and the fact it was free were the biggest factors

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i guess since the 1.9 is out of the question il go with a 6bt. easier to find and makes more power then the 4bt

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
And much heavier meaning your front end will have to be upgraded too.

hummer_maxxer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya a few post up i say that im putting in 609 and custom radius arm suspention

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
And much heavier meaning your front end will have to be upgraded too.
if you can handle 40's.......you can handle a 6bt.

but that does push the thought.....i would never run a diesel in a rig that sees mostly trail work. especially a huge clattering bastard.

my reason for diesel was pure economy and alternative fuel capacity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals