• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New details on ford 7.3L "Godzilla" Gas engine...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it got to -40 I would have no interest in driving my open station tractor, down to 0* F I have no worries about it starting.

1bbl updraft with manual choke, with no heater installed. I have pushed snow with it for 10 years and fed hay with it before that. Also my #1 stuck truck recovery weapon.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Yeah, it was -38C here last night. The 50/50 antifreeze I carry in the back of my truck was a slushy. I thought I had my ranger plugged in, it started but it took a bit to warm up. Today I discovered the plug at the engine was disconnected....I would have been spraying [ether] and praying if it was carbed.
and dodging flying intake manifolds???:icon_surprised:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
and dodging flying intake manifolds???:icon_surprised:
I never had any problems with that, however....

I was trying to light the burn barrel one crispy day and decided ether was a good fluid to use. I sprayed a bunch into the basically full 45 gallon drum and started throwing lighted matches at it. Good thing I wear glasses because I burnt all the hair not covered when the ether caught...boom :icon_surprised::shok:
All the hair including mustache, beard, and eyebrows. The rest was covered.

Almost got the Darwin award that time. Some days I'm really quite surprised I'm still alive.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
If it got to -40 I would have no interest in driving my open station tractor, down to 0* F I have no worries about it starting.

1bbl updraft with manual choke, with no heater installed. I have pushed snow with it for 10 years and fed hay with it before that. Also my #1 stuck truck recovery weapon.
If it got -40 here I would just stay inside and slowly rock in the corner whispering warm words of encouragement to get through it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it got -40 here I would just stay inside and slowly rock in the corner whispering warm words of encouragement to get through it.
We were halfway there last week, only plus I saw is the dogs didn't mess around outside. They ran out, did their duty and wanted right back in.

My F-150 barely started, kinda made the $80 engine heater on my imaginary new 2019 Ranger seem worth it. :icon_twisted:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if it even got half way there (assume you're saying about -20) down here we'd be in trouble. Heck if it hits the positive teens down here it gets rough. If we hit -40 well we know Hell has already frozen over and chances are the upper half of the US is in a new ice age.

Rusty I'm with ya on these things hitting the used market. I think it would be the ideal replacement for the 390FE in the 68 F-100, if a manual transmission and transfer case can be put behind it.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Rusty I'm with ya on these things hitting the used market. I think it would be the ideal replacement for the 390FE in the 68 F-100, if a manual transmission and transfer case can be put behind it.
A manual transfer case is still offered, however a manual trans will be a pipe dream unless you went F550+

Im seriously considering hanging onto my 97 460 untill 2025 or so. 6.2/6.8s are good engines but way to revvy for my likeing. Neither one has that low, smooth, punch from a stop light loaded like a 460. This 7.3 should.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals