• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch engages up very high

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Have a 2000 Ranger stock transmission. After shop replaced clutch, hyd throw out bearing and flywheel it was great but now the clutch is almost to the top before it engages and shutters sometimes as I engage clutch. What's happening and how to correct it?
Thanks

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your friction plates are glazed or there's something on/imperfections to the flywheel.

did you take it easy on the clutch during the break in period?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
engaging at the top isn't really the issue, actually i like my clutch engaging right at the top, makes for a smoother takeoff for me, but your chattering is an issue. did you replace the pressure plate? did the flywheel look/feel smooth or did you replace it? what gear do you take off in?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did they replace and bleed the Slave cylinder? It is a common issue on the M5OD that the Slave cylinder will start to leak or let in air and cause bad engagement. If the shop reused it chances are it started to leak and it is causing your clutch to not fully disengage and then reengage... That would cause shuttering and the late engagement.

Take it back to the shop and have them fix it... they should have done that in the first place.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How far have you driven since the clutch was replaced?

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
I bought a new flywheel and clutch kit from Ford.

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your friction plates are glazed or there's something on/imperfections to the flywheel.

did you take it easy on the clutch during the break in period?
I believe so

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
engaging at the top isn't really the issue, actually i like my clutch engaging right at the top, makes for a smoother takeoff for me, but your chattering is an issue. did you replace the pressure plate? did the flywheel look/feel smooth or did you replace it? what gear do you take off in?
It didn't start at the top it is now at the top. Replaced flywheel with Ford OEM and bought a Ford OEM clutch kit. Everything was new. I take off in first.

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Did they replace and bleed the Slave cylinder? It is a common issue on the M5OD that the Slave cylinder will start to leak or let in air and cause bad engagement. If the shop reused it chances are it started to leak and it is causing your clutch to not fully disengage and then reengage... That would cause shuttering and the late engagement.

Take it back to the shop and have them fix it... they should have done that in the first place.
I entend to take it back sometimes it is good to have an idea what/why is going on.

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
How far have you driven since the clutch was replaced?
Don't know exactly but hundreds of miles. With engagement creeping to the top I let it go but now sometimes during engagement it shutters something is not right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals