• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

wavector

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The Ford manual recommends using snap ring pliers to remove the valve itself. I haven't even attempted the servos yet. Heck the mod valve is tough enough without dropping the tranny. It's tight in that space. I wish I has another vehicle so I could drop the tranny and totally rebuild it. I do think the valve body is the main problem here and maybe the servos too. But, definitely the valve body need attention.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
The vacuume modulator has no snap-ring on it, or nothing to do with it. Its a 10mm bolt that holds it in...

ONLY the servos have snap-rings!!!!!

remove the cats and you have 50x's more room.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also recall somewhere in this thread about accessing the transmission through the floorboard. Where the manual shifter would be. I also remember reading that the floor pan had to be cut to do this I think. Not the most desirable plan of attack, but maybe as a last resort, depending on what task is being done.

But that could be for transmission removal, or some other reason. some vehicles have a removeable access panel on the transmission hump.

Just a thought.

Viper command, I am still waiting on my solenoid. It came in on Saturday but the thing looked used!! It was all rusty and the box was all mangled. So I sent it back. Should get it today and I will install tomorrow after work. I am also going to double check everything with the module.
The more I think, the more I am paranoid at the fact that all the problems started occuring when I was tinkering around under the tranny and swiveled the module up a few degrees. Again, I could be paranoid.

any last minute details about changing it? besides what you have posted already.

I really hope this is it. Even though I have to babysit the throttle and manually put it into overdrive when I’m on the highway, I'm still lovin this little truck more every time I drive it.

Thanks

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
any last minute details about changing it? besides what you have posted already.

I really hope this is it. Even though I have to babysit the throttle and manually put it into overdrive when I’m on the highway, I'm still lovin this little truck more every time I drive it.

Thanks

Drop the valve body, and its the second solenoid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks , buy second solenoid what. Is it second from front , or left to right? Second is more specifically .... I only have one afternoon to get it right

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
The converter solenoid is at the end and the second one from the end is the OD solenoid.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished installing the solenoid. Unfortunately No luck, the transmission is still losing overdrive when I give moderate throttle . I got a bit behind tonight but I test drove it and everything. I'm very disapointed, considerind when I first got in and driving, it felt like there was significant improvement.

Back to the drawing board I guess. any suggestions as what is next, I will gladly entertain. Thanks all, good evening.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
The Od one bearing is bad, (rebuild)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Noooooo! What a horrible, horrible, word.... (Rebuild) I was afraid of that. Thanks for your time, have a terrific weekend.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted to add that in my 94, you can access the top of the tranny through a panel in the floorboard. Just a few 10mm bolts and that's it. This would be a great way to remove the modulator.

I still would like to try replacing the servo and see if I get lucky , cause a rebuild is out of the question for now.

joeschmoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A4LD troubleshooting help, please.

First, I'm no mechanic. I change my oil & plugs, things like that, but that's it. I've used this site before to help with problems, and the knowledge here helped me save $$. [Thanks!] I'm hoping some of the aces here can help me peg my problem.

I have a '92 2WD Ranger with 97,000 miles that I only drive a couple times a month. No major problems, until two days ago. It's a bit hard to explain, but when I put it into gear, it sometimes just sits there, the trans not engaging. If i cycle the shifter on the column, it will sometimes engage into gear. Other times, like when going up a hill, the trans loses all torque, like it's just spinning free. It has done this on flat ground, too. Going along, then, no forward motion. I brake & cycle the shifter & it will engage. Maybe. I've driven it twice, just to check it, about .5 mi, total, just down the gravel road & back. So far, all I've done is check the fluid, which is good. It's been experiencing jerking going into reverse, for about six months now. Not too violent, but it seems to be getting intermittently stronger.

The loss of torque/fwd momentum began right after i bumped a walnut tree at about 3 mph while backing up to let a delivery truck into my backyard. Guy was talking to me & wasn't looking. Tapped the right rear bumper against the tree [about 3 mph]. The transmission began behaving as described the next time I drove it after this. I'm just wondering if this put enough pressure on the u-joint or drive shaft to break a seal further up. I see no leaks.

Maybe relevant: I was gone last weekend and there was flash flooding here, right through the parking spot. The neighbors kept an eye on it & said it didn't get up to chassis, only about "6 inches".
I have also caught two mice in the cab [I'm out in the country] & wonder if anything like that could be the problem. I haven't had time to crawl over to see, but I will check seals, hoses, & wires tomorrow for mouse damage, as it idles fast now & think the mice might have tried to supe the carb.

Just throwing the water & mice out there for consideration. I think I did it when I tapped the tree, or maybe it just decided to give out on its own at this time.

I'm hoping this is something minor, like a vacuum diaphragm, because I just got laid off & had other inconvenient expenses the last couple of months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First, I'm no mechanic. I change my oil & plugs, things like that, but that's it. I've used this site before to help with problems, and the knowledge here helped me save $$. [Thanks!] I'm hoping some of the aces here can help me peg my problem.

I have a '92 2WD Ranger with 97,000 miles that I only drive a couple times a month. No major problems, until two days ago. It's a bit hard to explain, but when I put it into gear, it sometimes just sits there, the trans not engaging. If i cycle the shifter on the column, it will sometimes engage into gear. Other times, like when going up a hill, the trans loses all torque, like it's just spinning free. It has done this on flat ground, too. Going along, then, no forward motion. I brake & cycle the shifter & it will engage. Maybe. I've driven it twice, just to check it, about .5 mi, total, just down the gravel road & back. So far, all I've done is check the fluid, which is good. It's been experiencing jerking going into reverse, for about six months now. Not too violent, but it seems to be getting intermittently stronger.

The loss of torque/fwd momentum began right after i bumped a walnut tree at about 3 mph while backing up to let a delivery truck into my backyard. Guy was talking to me & wasn't looking. Tapped the right rear bumper against the tree [about 3 mph]. The transmission began behaving as described the next time I drove it after this. I'm just wondering if this put enough pressure on the u-joint or drive shaft to break a seal further up. I see no leaks.

Maybe relevant: I was gone last weekend and there was flash flooding here, right through the parking spot. The neighbors kept an eye on it & said it didn't get up to chassis, only about "6 inches".
I have also caught two mice in the cab [I'm out in the country] & wonder if anything like that could be the problem. I haven't had time to crawl over to see, but I will check seals, hoses, & wires tomorrow for mouse damage, as it idles fast now & think the mice might have tried to supe the carb.

Just throwing the water & mice out there for consideration. I think I did it when I tapped the tree, or maybe it just decided to give out on its own at this time.

I'm hoping this is something minor, like a vacuum diaphragm, because I just got laid off & had other inconvenient expenses the last couple of months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
First and foremost drop the transmission pan and check if the trans filter did'nt come loose. That tap into the tree may have jolted something loose.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
would also be a good time to replace the filter and fluid, and also check the magnet on the bottem of the pan and see how much "goop" is on it.

Robert

joeschmoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies, crusin93 & Robert_1967. I'll have do it over the weekend now.

I was wondering it the symptoms i tried to describe rang any bells with anyone else that may have seen the same thing & knows what it is:

"I put it into gear, it sometimes just sits there, the trans not engaging. If i cycle the shifter on the column, it will sometimes engage into gear. Other times, like when going up a hill, the trans loses all torque, like it's just spinning free. It has done this on flat ground, too. Going along, then, no forward motion. I brake & cycle the shifter & it will engage. Maybe. "

Thanks!

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
"I put it into gear, it sometimes just sits there, the trans not engaging. If i cycle the shifter on the column, it will sometimes engage into gear. Other times, like when going up a hill, the trans loses all torque, like it's just spinning free. It has done this on flat ground, too. Going along, then, no forward motion. I brake & cycle the shifter & it will engage. Maybe. "

Thanks!
Valve body Check balls , or seperator plate leaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals