• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about driveshaft angles, pinion angle, etc

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

Question for my knowledge and understanding today, regarding driveshaft and pinion angles.

I understand that the up/down pinion angle is important and that poor angles can cause shake, bind, etc.

But, what about the angle of the driveshaft side to side? Should the centerline of the driveshaft ideally be directly in line with the rear axle pinion and the centerline of the transfer case output shaft (i.e., no side to side offset between transfer case output flange and rear pinion flange- they are in a straight line). If they don't need to be all connected in a perfectly straight line, what is an acceptable amount of skew left or right?

The reason I ask this: A. I'm just curious since I've never heard anyone talk about it. B. My original transmission crossmember was junk (96 2.3 4x4 5 speed), so I replaced it with a good one from another (off 97 3.0 4x4 auto). The crossmembers are nearly identical, except that the holes for the transmission mount are not exactly in the same place- the auto transmission cross member had those holes skewed 3/8-1/2" towards the driver side of the truck as opposed to my original one, which is not something I thought to check, since I could not remove my crossmember to compare them until I had another one to replace it with.

I had recently all but eliminated all the shudder my truck has around 55mph, but now it seems like with the new cross member the vibration is back, I'm wondering if it's coincidence and something else is to blame, or if the side-to-side driveline angle is important.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals