• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

u-joint operating angles?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is a 6 degree operating angle too much for a standard 1330 single cardan rear driveshaft to run at? I know spicer recommends no more than 3 degrees, but my setup is at 6 degrees and I don't want a major vibration from it. I have a little play in the slip shaft that I have to fix (if I grab both ends and twist the splines are a hair loose back and forth) and I don't want to get this shaft repaired if I will have a bad vibration from the 6 degree operating angle.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For the price of having the slip shaft replaced I guess I'll talk to them about just having a double cardan shaft built for it and I'll never have to worry about a vibration again.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My drive shaft is at about 12* without any vibrations. I have a BII with 5" of rear lift and a single cardan rear drive shaft.

I would like to get a Explorer front cut down and put in the rear of mine so when I am flexing it out I wont have any problems.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should be ok as long as you match your other angle correctly. Even if you are a little off on that one you've got room to play with. If you really want to be anal about it and KNOW for sure, get this and start reading at page 8.

You'll want a calculator. :)

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea, i'm gonna pull the shaft and drop it off tomorrow and they'll check the slip shaft and balance and see if there's anything wrong with it that would cause the vibration. If there's nothing wrong with the shaft then I'm really at a loss for whats causing the vibration...

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, well i decided to change the fuel filter and it is about 80 percent better, so i guess ill go ahead and give it a tune up before I deal with the driveshaft as it hasnt had anything done in about 75,000 miles... so plugs and wires and a pcv valve and we'll see where it stands then.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Ask me about d-shaft vibrations tomorrow when you come by to pick up that shaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals