• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil spring set up for dana 35 4x4 ranger

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 ranger with the 4.0 and 4" lift beam pivots. I was wondering why the best coil spring set up would be to keep my 4 lift, add a little travel and have a softer set up to play in the pits now and then and maybe catch some air. I plan on extending my radius arms but I'm trying to come up with a plan for my coil spring set up. What has to be done to be able to fit early bronco coils or would the skyjacker softrides be good enough with some bilstiens or fox 2.0 and f250 shock mount?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The Skyjacker 6" ttb coils work great with 4" drop brackets; that's the exact setup I have on my truck. They are softer than Superlift or Rough Country, but they are still relativity stiff compared to XJ or early bronco coils.

How much wheel travel are you looking for? Rock crawling or desert jumping?

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't need a ton of travel. I live in a place with rocky dirt roads and my set up right now is way to stiff. My whole truck shakes the whole time and I'm looking to be able to go good speeds on those roads and not hit the roof every bump. I plan on jumping it now and then but its not gonna be a racer or anything. I have money to buy skyjackers and some nice shocks and radius arms. I have heard that even the sjs are even too stiff and they are the softest ttb coils. Don't really wunna fabricate new coil buckets for eb coils

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what is the compressed length of you're coils? We basically have the same truck��

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
What are going to do for steering? If you're doing some jumping then some coil overs may be a good idea

My Skyjacker 136 coils sit at 39cm, or 15.3 inches, with the washer and isolator

Last edited:

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well if I just get the sjs then I could get away with a drop pitman arm right? If not maybe the superrunner steering if I go coil over or even softer coils.I'm just nervous about doing coil over with drop brackets. Would that put more strain on my frame and the brackets themselves?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well if I just get the sjs then I could get away with a drop pitman arm right? If not maybe the superrunner steering if I go coil over or even softer coils.I'm just nervous about doing coil over with drop brackets. Would that put more strain on my frame and the brackets themselves?
There wouldn't be any more strain with coil overs vs just coils. You would need to remove the coil bucket and make a top mount for the coil over of course(and on the beam as well)

The Skyjacker FA600 arm should be long enough to get your steering linkages in line with the beams. A Swing style or K-Link/Superunner setup both have advantages though.

You'll need fully adjustable camber/caster bushings so that you can dial that in after your lift it.

What are you using for Radius arms?

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was actually planning on making radius arms out of my old ones after I get the suspension set up. Probably around 12" longer so I don't have to deal with the crossmember. I think I'm gonna stick with regular coils

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Making your own arms is a good plan. I've done a few sets and they work well with the stock bushings. I can post some pics of them later.

The Skyjacker coils will probably sit at around 15" or slightly under that on your truck, being an extended cab.

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isn't 15" The ideal 4" lift or am I wrong

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The factory coils on our trucks will sit at about 10-11", so at 15" you'd be at about 4-5" of lift, which is right where my truck is at.

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK that makes sense. What is the set up for you're rear? Leafs are expensive! I dont plan on towing regularly. Maybe like 2 times a year so that's not really a factor but I do haul my dirt bike and sometimes camping gear and stuff in it but that's about it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have Skyjacker FR34S leaves in the rear along with some Belltech 6400 shackles, though I am not using the bottom hole as that made the rear too high. I have about 4" of lift on the rear and 5" on the front.

You could run factory blocks, explorer leaves and shackles to get around 4" of lift. The explorer leaves are quite stiff though. 4" blocks work too, but the axle wrap with those is really bad. Make sure you get good U bolts.

z.korz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is the advantage of bell tech shackles over stock? Might be a dumb question but I haven't got to researching the rear end yet as I have spent most of my time looking into the front end.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
They are longer than the factory shackles, which moves the leaf spring down, effectively lifting the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals