• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap Lift???

harveyj27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I just got my first 4x4 rig, its a 1999 ford ranger xlt. I want to put it on 265/75/16 a/t tires for occasionally wheeling and I am considering different lifts. While torsion keys and shackles seem cheap and easy to install, I've heard bad things about excessive wear and want to make sure I don't break anything if I don't have to. I guess my main questions are would a 3 inch body lift be better for these tires (approx. same as 32x10.5s), or would a 2 inch lift via shackles and tbar crank/keys be the way to go? Keep in mind I'm on a budget and $200-$250 is the absolute max i'd be willing to pay. Thanks.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!
I say the way to go would be shackles, and a torsion bar crank to match. Your cost would be the shackles and a front end alignment. You shouldn't have any problems with 265/75/16's, a lot of guys are running up to 33's with that set up.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome harveyj27:

Optional for your '99 Ranger were 265/75R15s from the factory with no lift/crank.

265/70R16s are only 1" bigger, so a 1/2" "leveling" crank and they would be fine: subject to wheel offset/depending on how aggressive you get with our wheeling.

Excessive wear on 2" shackle lift comes from the shackles are actually ~4½" longer due to the axle is slightly forward of center of spring. The resulting pinion angle is no longer correct and u-joints wear due to vibration, etc.

Doing torsion crank/keys and lifting the front 2" would result in very little droop left in suspension, which results in rough ride.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
A 3 inch body lift would be overkill for 265's.... and by the time you buy the body lift and gap guards... you're probably over your defined "max" price.

Sweet 85 nailed the cheapest way to get a little clearance with the exception of some extended length shocks. You put a set of quality shocks into the mix... again... over your "max"

Don broke it down as to why this type of lift is less then perfect and the pitfalls of doing it. I also think he is right that a set of 265's will come real close to fitting without doing much... a little crank of the bars to level. With that said... I think the wheel wells will be pretty full and depending on what you are going to do off road... you may have some issues. I also feel like the truck should set proud over the tire and have stance.

My plan for my truck is 265 75 16's... a little crank on the stock torsion bar keys... an add a leaf that will increase load capacity of the leaf with minimal lift about 3/4 inch (according to ARB old man emu)... 4 KYB Monomax shocks... 16 x 8 4 inch back space wheels that will increase the track width by 3 inches overall. Then I'm gonna look at it... if it needs more lift to be "proud"... I'll fabricate a 1" body lift to get it where it needs to be.

To do the suspension modifications in my plan... roughly $400 with an alignment... before the body lift and wheels/tires

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals