• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 3.0L extra battery

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd like to put an extra battery in my truck under the hood. The only space I see for it is where the air filter is. If you move the filter there is plenty of room for another battery.

Has anyone here ever done this? If so, how/where did you move, replace, whatever the air filter?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Build a custom intake duct and put the air filter in the glove box.

That's what the mud hole boys do.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the space currently occupied by your windshield washer and coolant overflow is abut the most usable space you have. you can go junkyard shopping and find smaller versions of each to put in other locations.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the second battery for?

Do you need a full size car battery?

CCA(cold cranking amps) is a car battery rating for how fast and long it can discharge the 60+ amps needed by a starter motor

AH(amp hours) is a rating for Deep Cycle batteries for how many hours it can supply 1 amp, i.e. a 100ah battery can supply 5amps steady to 20 hours, before needing a recharge.
Car battery would be ruined by that type of steady drain, they are made for high amp draw under 20seconds each time.

So use for second battery is important
You can get smaller 50ah battery, may be 2, that will fit better without moving stuff around too much

Your current air filter has 200% capacity, using a smaller one is fine but you do need to clean it more often

Last edited:

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Build a custom intake duct and put the air filter in the glove box.

That's what the mud hole boys do.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I just want the extra battery for camping. I don't really need it but it would be nice. I would have never thought of the glove box. I'd guess that putting the air filter in the glove box would be a good bit of work.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the space currently occupied by your windshield washer and coolant overflow is abut the most usable space you have. you can go junkyard shopping and find smaller versions of each to put in other locations.
Thanks. I probably wouldn't have thought of this location either. This spot would probably be pretty easy and cheap to accomplish.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's the second battery for?

Do you need a full size car battery?

CCA(cold cranking amps) is a car battery rating for how fast and long it can discharge the 60+ amps needed by a starter motor

AH(amp hours) is a rating for Deep Cycle batteries for how many hours it can supply 1 amp, i.e. a 100ah battery can supply 5amps steady to 20 hours, before needing a recharge.
Car battery would be ruined by that type of steady drain, they are made for high amp draw under 20seconds each time.

So use for second battery is important
You can get smaller 50ah battery, may be 2, that will fit better without moving stuff around too much

Your current air filter has 200% capacity, using a smaller one is fine but you do need to clean it more often
I wanted the battery for camping to run some stuff. I haven't figured out what would be the best size but you're right it probably won't need to be full size. I use a cpap for sleep apnea and its current draw is about 2 Amps per hour. I once figured that a full size battery last about 4 days. With the extra battery and an inverter I could run the CPAP and some led lights, etc.

I don't really need it but the extra battery would be nice since I could recharge the battery with the alternator and not make much noise doing it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For steady long term draw get a Deep Cycle battery, not a car battery

Battery group size 21 is 8" long, 7" wide, 9" tall

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For steady long term draw get a Deep Cycle battery, not a car battery

Battery group size 21 is 8" long, 7" wide, 9" tall
Yes, thanks - I know that.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Yes, thanks - I know that.
Funny thing...my son called from Seattle yesterday and told me he had just bought a '98V70. Cool Beans! :beer:

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Funny thing...my son called from Seattle yesterday and told me he had just bought a '98V70. Cool Beans! :beer:
My 98V70 died on the road on the way to work in October. For some reason it was oil starved even though the oil level was full and there was no sludge. I took apart the oil filter to see if was plugged but everything was normal.

I bought the car for my daughter so I wouldn't have to get up at 6:30 AM on saturdays to drive her to band practice. I paid $1500 and she and I drove the car for ten years. He will be able to drive that car a long time - what happened to mine is a freak occurrence because those v70's typically go 400 to 500,000 miles if well cared for (mine bought it at 173K). There is an o-ring internally between the pan and engine block that fails and causes what happened to my volvo. I didn't know about it until the car was already kaput.

Suggest that he check out matthewsvolvosite.com. That's where I got the name 98v70dad - I just reused it here. There is a zero time checklist on the website with a lot of suggested maintenance for a long life. I did all of it yet mine betrayed me. The killer o ring wasn't on the list. That's why I got the ranger.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
My 98V70 died on the road on the way to work in October. For some reason it was oil starved even though the oil level was full and there was no sludge. I took apart the oil filter to see if was plugged but everything was normal.

I bought the car for my daughter so I wouldn't have to get up at 6:30 AM on saturdays to drive her to band practice. I paid $1500 and she and I drove the car for ten years. He will be able to drive that car a long time - what happened to mine is a freak occurrence because those v70's typically go 400 to 500,000 miles if well cared for (mine bought it at 173K). There is an o-ring internally between the pan and engine block that fails and causes what happened to my volvo. I didn't know about it until the car was already kaput.

Suggest that he check out matthewsvolvosite.com. That's where I got the name 98v70dad - I just reused it here. There is a zero time checklist on the website with a lot of suggested maintenance for a long life. I did all of it yet mine betrayed me. The killer o ring wasn't on the list. That's why I got the ranger.
Thanks for the info. Very informative site.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the info. Very informative site.
Its a great resource. Post a question like my battery question and you'll get 5 responses in an hour. Often people have done the project took pictures and have illustrated instructions and parts lists for how to DIY. Usually there will be advise on where to get the best deal on parts.

Also, there is a very complete library of common problems and fixes and routine repairs which is easy to overlook if you don't know its there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals