• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake pads are rattling/Proper anti-rattle clip installation

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I changed out the front pads on my 94 2WD 3.0 ranger and I am now getting pad rattle from them so I feel really stupid for asking these questions but the answers are need to know to stop it. When I removed the driver side there was no anti-rattle clip installed and the passenger side clip and pad fell out when I removed the caliper so I could not see how they should be installed. :annoyed:

1. Does the anti rattle clips go on top or the bottom of the inner pad?
I installed them on the bottom tab of the pad but am still getting rattling.

2. Does the tab on the anti-rattle clip go on the slide for the pads or on the outside of the bracket, basically pulling the pad pack towards the caliper piston?
Currently have it on the outside of the bracket pulling the pad towards the piston.

IF you have a pic of how they are installed it would help a bunch in understanding how to install them. I hope I explained clearly enough of what I need if not let me know and I ll try to do better.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I changed out the front pads on my 94 2WD 3.0 ranger and I am now getting pad rattle from them so I feel really stupid for asking these questions but the answers are need to know to stop it. When I removed the driver side there was no anti-rattle clip installed and the passenger side clip and pad fell out when I removed the caliper so I could not see how they should be installed. :annoyed:

1. Does the anti rattle clips go on top or the bottom of the inner pad?
I installed them on the bottom tab of the pad but am still getting rattling.

2. Does the tab on the anti-rattle clip go on the slide for the pads or on the outside of the bracket, basically pulling the pad pack towards the caliper piston?
Currently have it on the outside of the bracket pulling the pad towards the piston.

IF you have a pic of how they are installed it would help a bunch in understanding how to install them. I hope I explained clearly enough of what I need if not let me know and I ll try to do better.
Inside bottom, it takes longer to get that clip to stay on and in place and it does to do the brake job soon as you get it in place it falls off
https://www.justanswer.com/ford/73jvn-ranger-replacing-front-caliper-brake-pads.html

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
OK so it seems that the tab on the anti rattle clip goes on the slide for the pad. Is this correct?

Thanks for your quick reply and link.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Update

Just an update, after installing the anti-rattle clips properly the pads stopped rattling although I still had a rattle which turned out to be the radius arm bushings being bad and those have been replaced as well. No more rattles.

Thanks for the link, It was just what I needed.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Non rattling pads are much better than rattling teeth from badly balanced tires lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals