• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bleeder Screws?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
No, that's a line wrench. It has a slot to pass over the line, but is otherwise a 6 point box end.

A bleeder screw has no line going into it and so a bleeder wrench is fully closed.

It does have some hard angles on it to get in around corners.
Yeah well it's been a while and I got the vocabulary wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Be sure to inspect those rear steel brake line flares when you extract them from the brake cylinders.

I didn't catch it at first, but one of the flares chipped when I pulled them out of my 2002 Ranger. Then I wondered why I couldn't vacuum bleed these brakes. Whoa! Finally found it when another stomped on the brake pedal and fluid leaked around that joint.

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure to inspect those rear steel brake line flares when you extract them from the brake cylinders.

I didn't catch it at first, but one of the flares chipped when I pulled them out of my 2002 Ranger. Then I wondered why I couldn't vacuum bleed these brakes. Whoa! Finally found it when another stomped on the brake pedal and fluid leaked around that joint.
Thx @mikkelstuff
At the connection outlined in the photo?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thx @mikkelstuff
At the connection outlined in the photo?

Yes, also u may wanna use some heat before backing them out.....in the past I’ve had problems and ended up twisting the damn brake line, so now I use pb blaster and some heat they come right out every time...icon_thumby:

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, also u may wanna use some heat before backing them out.....in the past I’ve had problems and ended up twisting the damn brake line, so now I use pb blaster and some heat they come right out every time...icon_thumby:
Ok will do, thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, make sure to rock those line nuts back and forth a few times before actually trying to remove them. Break them loose on the threads and then just rock the wrench back and forth, helps make sure things are moving and not going to twist off.

Little trick I picked up a few years back, if you have a line that is really truly stuck to the nut you can spin the wheel cylinder off of the line. It is less than ideal, but it does work.

Mr._Graybeard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just got done working over the front brakes and master on my 2005 FX4. It needed a new MC, but when I wanted to bleed the calipers the bleeders just crumbled. I ended up getting new calipers, hoses, rotors, pads and dust shields ... at 120K miles it was due for some love. I'm left with a lingering ABS issue, but I'll start a new thread on that.

As for the rear cylinders, loosing that rear fitting on the hard line is a pain ... the angle is just funny and hard to get a grip on. I swapped out a cylinder myself and had to fabricate a new hard line because I messed it up. When the other cylinder started leaking in the depths of winter, I took it to the local Ford garage ... I felt a little vindicated when THEY had to replace the other hard line while servicing the cylinder.

Anyhow, I thought I'd point you guys to a really excellent tool for flare fittings, the Vise Grips 4LW. It's like a regular Vise Grip except that it has a triangular notch cut into the fixed jaw. That lets it clamp down on three sides of a fitting without tearing up the metal. It came to my rescue last week while I was swapping out those caliper brake hoses.

Here's a link to a vendor's website that has a picture of the wrench: https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10500534534149805872_634449073996430179_1183006?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-koyayyivmf&gtim=CMPGvenjxJScExDFs5iWor_L_bQBGLCC6AUiA1VTRCiQtp_eBTCemkg&utm_campaign=1183006&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuuHdBRCvARIsAELQRQG_Ajt2nwKRmt1r_6x7ZNY2tuPpSxGhUyBBP_MDPrNWEYuqw59qs6AaAsqVEALw_wcB

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks adsm08, This is what I'm dealing with in the rear.

Been a while since I've done anything brake related. The wheel cylinders are behind the drums, have to remove those & then get the lines of as well?

When I saw this pic compared to my bleeders being 10 times worse, I went to town with a SNUG unworn 3/8 deep socket and added some leverage at the 1/4 drive breaker / Johnson type bar with success. The bleeders surly had not been turned out since the factory and needed to be unplugged with a drill bit and pin for the inside hole, and were fine with a quick wire wheel cleaning. I went in with confidence in the knowledge I was prepared to replace the break cylinders for 10 or 15 dollars per.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals