• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high amp alternators

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your personal vehicle modifications are obviously not subject to the National Electric Code, but...

according to NEC regulations on Allow Ampacities of Single Insulated Conductors rated 0-2000V in Free air, a current of 130A requires a 4 gauge wire with 90°C insulation (it's good up to 140A). For 60° insulation you'd need 2 AWG and 75° insulation would require 3. The insulation class is usually printed on the insulation.

Not saying your wire is going to melt the second you turn your lights on, and there are obviously more than a few that have used 8 AWG, but if the NEC considers it unsafe to use any less in a house or other building, then it's probably for a good reason.
The FAA has a similar view. Theis is an article I did for our mag 5 years ago. Controlling the lights on several circuits is the thing to do or course. On my truck I have a panel made by Blue Sea and everything I added runs to it. I don't have stadium lights--or any aftermarket lights, but if I did, I would have each pair switchable through it.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The FAA has a similar view. Theis is an article I did for our mag 5 years ago. Controlling the lights on several circuits is the thing to do or course. On my truck I have a panel made by Blue Sea and everything I added runs to it. I don't have stadium lights--or any aftermarket lights, but if I did, I would have each pair switchable through it.
definitely.

I was actually referring to the alternator wire with that post, but I apply the same rules to any wiring I do.

I don't have lights yet, but I am in the process of installing 1200W worth of audio and you can bet I'll be following NEC wiring rules to the T. If I add lights I imagine I'll probably upgrade to the 130A alternator.

My BII carries liability insurance only, I can't afford to watch it burn to the ground. :bawling:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Try what you have and see how it works out.

If the you have problems or signs of problems get the 130 amp unit.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've had an Optima knock-off (Orbital) Yellow Top for 2 years now without any problems at all. running fog lights, driving lights, off-road lights, 12v compressor, etc. coldest it got here this winter was -32 and my truck started right up, no problems. the truck does have a block heater, but that doesn't do much for the battery. i think it's great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals