• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lock Cylinder

nye2k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, been watching this for years, but first post:

I went to start my 03 Ranger after filling her up and the ignition lock cylinder wouldn't turn. Steering locked, wheels pointed dead ahead. Jiggled the hell out of it... pulled hard on the steering wheel in every direction.... nothing.

Called a locksmith and he gave me the :icon_confused: look... then the line, "Well... tomorrow my step brother might could come out and unlock that steering for $200, he's got some special hammer tool." (no joke)

After towing her home, i squirted some PB Blaster in the cylinder and let it sit, stuck a blank non-PATS key in and attempted to tap any stuck pins/wafers free... nothing.

I only had one key which is fairly warn from opening beer bottles, so i had the dealer cut me a new one from the VIN (Didn't program it yet - they wanted to charge an additional hour labor for that). Stuck that one in... nothing.

Is there anything else I can check/try before I drill out the lock cylinder?

nye2k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
simple fix

After running through the motions one last time, I thought to scrape out the cylinder with an awl in case there was any build up on the pins... when to my surprise, i broke free a small shred of plastic somehow stuck in the tumbler.

I feel dumb, but it sure beats having to install unnecessary parts.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad we could help :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals