• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cruise control issues

nnehrer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cruise control doesn't work.

Cruise control does not engage.

Blown fuse; Which fuse is for the cruise control? Does this fuse control anything else?
Short or open in the cruise control circuit; How can I check this?
Faulty brake or clutch switch; Checked switch seems to be ok. Master cylinder has been replaced. I saw it mentioned that the Speed Control Deactivation Switch, also known as a "brake pressure" switch is located under the hood of the vehicle and is attached to the brake master cylinder on one end and wired to the cruise control on the other. I don't know if this applies to my model. There is a connector plugged into the master cylinder.

There is a plug coming out of the wire harness that is plugged into the master cylinder but nothing is plugged into the end. I'm not sure if anything is supposed to plug in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548977@N08/3888244158/

Leaking vacuum circuit; Vacuum plugs seem good. Am I missing some? There is what seems to be a vacuum hose running along the firewall but doesn't go into anything. I checked a similar model ranger and it goes back into the firewall but mine just seems to be snipped off. There isn't a place on the firewall that it looks like it could attach to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548977@N08/3887450603/

Faulty cruise control switch; Not sure, I check the switches on the steering wheel and they look in good condition. The horn works.
Faulty stepper motor; Not sure where this is
Faulty transducer; Not sure where this is
Faulty speed sensor; Not sure where this is
Faulty cruise control module; Not sure where this is

Hope this isn't too much detail but I'd like to get this fixed it's been bugging me for awhile. Thanks for any help you can give.

I have pics if necessary but I couldn't attach them without linking them from a website.

Last edited:

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm curious how this is going to turn out. This is the next project that I plan to work on with my truck. My cruise isn't working either. This thread gave me some great things to check though.

However, what - and where is the transducer?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Unless I'm losing my mind, the transducer is also called the 'cruise amp'. That's mounted above the glove compartment. Just drop the compartment down and look behind/above it and you should find the module tucked up there with two wiring connectors (each with 8 or so wires). It's a green plastic unit on my '94 Explorer.

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good info, thank you. I was able to locate the the transducer where you said it was.

I pulled in the tabs on my glove box and was able to swing it down into the fully open position and look up under the dash. The module is green and has a wiring harness connected to it on the right side.

The interesting thing is, the next thing I was going to work on was the "blend door fix". Turns out, my antenna cable was pushing against the rod that operates the blend door via the vaccuum switch. I moved the cable and now it opens and closes fully. ;) I expect my AC to be much colder now. :)

I don't mean to hijack a thread though. Sorry. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals