• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Ground Issue, I Think..

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stop skipping steps and get it done right the first time.
replace with the correct part, yep Ive seen it 100 times that the cheesy connector has probably a better connection than any you can install after the fact
I wondered about that. I guess I'll throw another cheesy deal on there.... at least then I can trouble shoot a weak ground rather than no ground at all, right?

thanks for the help, you guys Rock:headbang:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you say you have no power at all now? if thats the case you switched connections on your starter solenoid. find the power wire coming from your engine compartment fuse/ relay and follow it to the solenoid on the fenderwell. make note of which lug it is on and then see if there is a positive cable that runs back to the battery. i did this last week when i replaced my cables, i put the fuse box power on the switched side of the solenoid instead of the side that had constant power and when i turned the key to start it i had nothing. hope this helps you out!

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
you say you have no power at all now? if thats the case you switched connections on your starter solenoid. find the power wire coming from your engine compartment fuse/ relay and follow it to the solenoid on the fenderwell. make note of which lug it is on and then see if there is a positive cable that runs back to the battery. i did this last week when i replaced my cables, i put the fuse box power on the switched side of the solenoid instead of the side that had constant power and when i turned the key to start it i had nothing. hope this helps you out!
No. I'm quite sure this is not the problem, as my truck worked for months after changing the cables. I never even disconected the solenoid, although I did wire it back up wrong the first time I did the positive side.. was almost a bad accident, my buddy started hooking up the posite cable to the battery, and then when he went to hook up the neg, he was standing INFRONT of the the truck.... if the wheels hadn;'t been blocked as well as they were, he would been a stain on the pavement....

Anyways, back on topic again... I'm 100 miles from my truck right now, so I havent been able to do any testing, but I am willing to bet what rockwerks had to say about me cutting off the terminal is the key to the no power issue... Once I fis that tomorrow if it's still clicking like it was before hand, I'm pretty sure it will have something to do with the connection to the starter motor...

At anyrate, If all else fails I'll be posting a new topic with the updated situation. these forums have saved me thousands of dollars since I found them!

Thanks For your input, info is always good, regardless what it's about!

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So I was looking for tips to solve some other little problems and I came across this post, again, and I thought i'd go ahead and update it, since i forgot to do it two months ago.

I was ust to excited to have my truck back on the road to remember to update, sorry. :)

The final culprit of this problem ended up being an ID10T(idiot) error on my part.... as I mentioned, I had changed all my cables out for new ones, I did a very good job, had good clean connections and everything... But forgot to crimp one of them down. (Doh!) so a few months later, the wire slide right back from the connector... ID10T strikes again.

Thanks again for all your input, I'm sure I'll come calling again some time soon since it's almost BackCountry season in Utah. hahah

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals