• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best $5 security system. What about an alarm?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'll be doing a bunch (BUNCH) of truck camping and backpacking. I won't to make sure the truck is STILL there when I get back, even if it's been broken into. However, I wouldn't mind some kind of detterent to breaking in, if there is such a thing.

So I'm thinking an inline switch or two, that break up two essential circuits (or two switches for the same circuit might be easier.)

Any body got the slickest set-up(s) immaginaeable? Or effective Imagineable?
ha ha
Imaginable!
yes. no red line under it

Thnsnks!

want

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
one thing you can do is have a wire that's hot with the ignition ran to an old car alarm horn... with a switch. that way if the ignition is hot with the switch open- the alarm will sound

another thing is to take the wire to your fuel inhertia switch and put a toggle switch inline with that. that will cause a break in the fuel electrical system and the motor won't get gas... so it won't crank, just turn over..

the neutral safety switch is another wire that can be switched and then the truck shouldn't even turn over...

is this the answers you wanted? or am i off base?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel shut off switch... battery disconnect... one of those bars that locks on your steering wheel... etc etc...

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
one thing you can do is have a wire that's hot with the ignition ran to an old car alarm horn... with a switch. that way if the ignition is hot with the switch open- the alarm will sound

another thing is to take the wire to your fuel inhertia switch and put a toggle switch inline with that. that will cause a break in the fuel electrical system and the motor won't get gas... so it won't crank, just turn over..

the neutral safety switch is another wire that can be switched and then the truck shouldn't even turn over...

is this the answers you wanted? or am i off base?
I don't want to entertain the idea of the motor being started, even if a horn is blasting. With a running truck, they'd be motivated to find the horn and disable it.

The fuel inertia switch sounds like a good idea... it will crank but not start. I can hide it inside somewhere, under the dash behind the mouse family.

Actually, I can put a toggle in the neutral safety switch, and put it in an easier to find place, like in the driver's foot space, so the thieves will think "AHA!" if they get that far. I might want to hide the second switch someplace really inaccessible, for when I REALLY want the truck to be there, unless it was towed away. Hell, I don't want it towed away, either! Or pulled by chain.

So what for an alarm to deter potential crooks? And how about disabling it so it can't be towed with a chain or bar? That will be triple security, which, as a disabled Vietnam veteran, suits me just fine. Money is tight.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the inertia switch will turn over but not crank... so it just seems like something is wrong with it. the horn will deture some people, the horn should be mounted under the hood so it will take them a min to get to... therefore maybe you'll hear it.

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about a quick connect steering wheel? I know for certain Grant makes one, other companies may as well.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Or Gwaii's method lol. even if they do get it started it would be a week before they got away.

But if you want real security get a boot. boot your truck

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or Gwaii's method lol. even if they do get it started it would be a week before they got away.

that sounds like the best Idea.. I had a buddy make door latches that would shock you so bad you couldn't let go haha ran a taser with no pulse to under the latch and when you lift it, it would turn it on and had to have the alarm remote to turn off or know where the button was lol it got me a few times

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not familiar with the 2.3L, but if it has a distributor, just take out the rotor.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
pull all the plug wires?

inuyasha2875

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hidden push button start cig lighter is a good place to hide it

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

what is Gwaii's method?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
that sounds like the best Idea.. I had a buddy make door latches that would shock you so bad you couldn't let go haha ran a taser with no pulse to under the latch and when you lift it, it would turn it on and had to have the alarm remote to turn off or know where the button was lol it got me a few times
i can imagine the wanna-be-thief throwing all boulders/rocks in the area thruough my windows, and putting a burning rag in my filler tube.

i'm still t hinking

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not familiar with the 2.3L, but if it has a distributor, just take out the rotor.
it has two things that have four spark plug wires coming out of them, each, but they're not distributors. dual plugs per cylinder

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what is Gwaii's method?
Gwaii has a ridiculous rock crawler. in absolute low low gear(he has 3 transmissions and 2 transfer cases going to 4.10 axles) the crawl ratio is like 6000:1. not practical in your application lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals