• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiper/high beam switch broke?

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
okay , so I put a new battery in, my head lights work when I turn them on. Also my Wipers fully function, But when I turn the wiper/high beam switch, they dont go to High but wipers work... I'm confused! Does anyone have/had this issue? I also noticed one headlight is darker than the other. Could it be that the high beams are simply burnt out? Its an 88' by the way. Any help will be Appreciated!! :icon_welder:

Last edited:

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Also, the high beam light indicateor doesnt show that the highs are on. Maybe the switch or relay is bad?????

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be your multifunction switch

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did this misbehavior start when you replaced the battery, or was it happening before? Or maybe you were unable to tell before?

It's unlikely that simply replacing the battery caused a problem this complex, but double-check the cables and connectors behind the passengers-side headlamps.

The high-beam and low-beam lamps on the '88 are two separate lamps. Sit in the driveway and flip them back and forth, and get out and check which lamps are lit, and how they're behaving.

I have the EVTM for the '88, and after you get back to us with the results of the previous questions, we can help you proceed with formally troubleshooting the multifunction switch. It will require a basic multi-tester; you can get one at radio shack or harbor freight, or wherever, if you don't already have one.

Spott

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys! I'll try it here shortly as soon as the rain lets up enough to go play with it and let you know.

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I just went out there and it seems that its the Turn signal/High-low switch. Not the Wiper/ H-L switch that I was thinking it was. Just got this truck day after christmas. Soo, I'm still new to it. I tried disconnecting both headlights and using my air compressor to blow out any debries in the sockets and cleaned up the headlight tabs for a better connection. *They appeared to have surface rust on them*. I flipped the switch to High and then to Low. Still, Nothing. But.. my Turn Signals work.. Everything but my highs work. Also, I did notice that my drivers side headlight is darker still and appears to have its high-beam burnt out. The passenger side looks new.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Also check the wire clip on the driver side...mine had wires falling out of it...and the headlights are on two different wires...can't remember what they are but they are both red...one with a black stripe and one with a green stipe...and your lamp connector at the lamp may also be wonky...

But I've noticed lately that my high beam indicator doesn't come on some of the time and I think that's actually the switch...I have to toggle it a few times to get the indicator and the high beams working...just age...and the switches are not easy to find in the junk yards these days...

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
That is a conumdrum. If all else fails i'll replace the headlights and the turn-signal/high switch. I want better lights that didnt come with the truck. It has been sitting for Quite Awhile. *since 2007*. I had seen that LMC has the switch for like 20bucks or so I beleive. Don't quote me on that. I'm slowly trying to figure out what I need to replace and fix before I can drive it.

Heater starts to blow smoke and smells like something is burning, fuel filler neck on the front tank is cracked I think. Switch doesnt work. Needs a tune-up/drain the tanks. Thats all that needs done.

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate your guy's help for helping me. I'm a nOOb. Haha! But I am' Glad to Finally own another Ford. and a Ranger at that. My plan is to take my truck on the Hot Rod Power Tour for 2013. My Dream is to put a 3.8L SC V6 out of a T-Bird into my Ranger. One can dream.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Smoky heater is likely caused by having old leaves down in the cowl vent.

Ok, it looks like there are 4 sets of circuits that go through the multi-function switch. Disconnect both cables, and test the following:

Set the turn signal switch to center, with the hazard switch off, and there should be continuity between 551 (lt grn) and 9 (lt grn/org). There should also be continuity between 551 LG and 5 (org/lt blu).

Set the turn signal switch left, and there should be a closed circuit between 44 LB and 9 LG/O, and 44 LB and 3 LG/W.

Set the turn signal switch right, and there should be continuity between 44 LB and 5 O/LB, and 44 LB and 2 W/LB.

Turn on the hazard switch, with the turn signal switch in the center, and there should be continuity between 385 W/R and 551 LG, 385 W/R and 2W/LB, and 385 W/R and 3 LG/W.

Finally, flip the headlight dimmer. There should be continuity between 15 R/Y and 12 LG/BK when it's in High position, and 15 R/Y and 13 R/BK when it's in Low position, and should flip back and forth between the two states.

If it fails any of those 11 checks, then you need to replace the switch. If it passes all of them, then we need to start looking elsewhere.

Also, check the High beam indicator lamp. It may have burned out.

Spott

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Spott. My moms boyfriend has a tester, and he knows how to check that stuff. I'll have him look at this thread when he gets home and he can show me how to do it. btw, how do I pull the cowl off?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure how to get the cowl off, or if it even comes off.

You can get to the inside of the air intake plenum (beneath the cowl) by taking off the blower assembly inside the engine compartment, against the firewall, on the passenger's side. There are sometimes dried leaves in there, and if the get against the heater core or the blower resistor pack, they'll smoke. Try a shop vac.

If you can't get all the leaves out that way, you may need to pull the air intake plenum itself, which is deep under the dashboard, on the passenger's side.

Spott

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Cool! I'll try that in the morning when its light out. I don't think it comes off either. I appreciate your help. Also, the switch is bad. It failed when in High and Low. But all others Passed.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay, time for a new switch then. If you can find a new one, that's the best option, otherwise try the junkyards.

Spott

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'll look Monday. Possibly a junkyard run is in order. I know of a few BIIs and Ranger up by Seattle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals