• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Composite leafs

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on redoing my suspension in the not so distant future and was contemplating composite for the sake of weight, strength, and longevity. There may not be a direct fit for an 89 bronco II but this Chevy application I found in speedway motors is pretty damn close. Just uses a slightly smaller bolt and I think a Little narrower. My leafs are shot and don't like buying used. My rig is mostly street driven and not off roaded.

Any thoughts on these: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hyperco-11344-Chevy-Composite-Leaf-Spring-225-Lb-Rate,34240.html

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've never experimented with composite leafs but I know that some Explorers had composites. My Ranger, F-150 and choptop all got used leafs, I bought a couple used packs in good shape and custom built my spring packs to meet my needs. For my F-150 I bought a set of springs out of an F-250 and added a couple leafs to make it a 3/4-1 ton pack since I use the truck for work and hauling. Plus I bought new coils for the front, the heaviest I could find. Truck sits like an F-250 now and I've run those spring packs for about 4 years now with no issues. I've had a ton on it a couple times too.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
My 94 Long bed ,2.3,std cab, 5spd came stock with 7.5 w/ 3.45 gears & single composite leaf spring. I have only seen 2 other rangers with them & the build application was identical. Must of been a economy weight reduction package.

I replaced with in a month of owning truck in 2007 as soon as I noticed that they were not REAL leaf springs & also found out that they aren't even designed to carry much of a load. Rated for only 800 lbs.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The (older) Explorer Sport models also come with a composite leaf. As previously mentioned, they are light duty only and cannot be used in conjunction with steel leaves. If the Chevy leaf is narrower and uses smaller diameter bolts, I would shy away unless you can consult with an engineer. You might be better off having someone, like Eaton Detroit Spring, make something for you.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the ideas and replies. I will do some more research on this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals