• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front brake dust sheilds

Maiawolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been looking for replacement dust shields for my 96 xlt 4wd truck and what I have found is no one carries them anymore. Is this a worry or just forget it and move on without the shields?:bawling:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Move on without them, I'm not sure that Ford even makes them any more

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Might allow more air to flow in and around the disk keeping it cooler.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
They are more for rocks go to your local bone yard/s you should be able to find good used ones?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are more for rocks go to your local bone yard/s you should be able to find good used ones?
Only 95-97 trucks and are specific to 2wd or 4wd.

Sucky part is it is a PITA to pull them to see if they are any better than what you have.

I don't think anyone reproduces them, I had to strip 3 trucks to find a good set and being such a narrow year range they are kind of scarce to even find to see if they are worth anything.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I say just forget them. Most rangers (and other vehicles for that matter) never even had them. They are more of an annoyance than anything. They just get bent or get crap stuck in them and provide no real benefit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I say just forget them. Most rangers (and other vehicles for that matter) never even had them. They are more of an annoyance than anything. They just get bent or get crap stuck in them and provide no real benefit.
Every vehicle I have owned has had them.

In addition to keeping stuff out of your brakes they have a scoop to catch air to cool them.

muddypunk

Reaction score
I took them off my wheeler when I replaced a couple broken shafts (it's a Jeep thing) and keep meaning to put them back on as I have packed the rotors full of mud and rock several times. Haven't noticed my brakes getting hot though that's a plus I guess.
Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
While I can not speak for the availability of them I can say they do serve a vital function which is keeping water and debris from getting on the rotor and pads causing loss of braking power and premature brake ware/failure.

Should they be replaced? Yes they should be replaced when they are no longer usable.

Can you go without them? Yes you can but driving through a puddle can cause your brakes to fade a bit when pressed due to the surface being wet. Also Like any hot metal when cold water gets on it it will warp the rotors giving a pulsation in the peddle. If you go off road, or even travel on dirt roads, mud, dirt and pebbles and get lodged in your brake pads causing poor breaking and gouging of the rotors and pads.

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
FWIW, with some ingenuity and some thin sheet steel from Lowe's I bet you could make up a set cheaply, easily, and with basic tools.

I have a set right now to replace the missing ones on my crusty 96 2.3 4x4. They are about as good as I can find for original in MA but need a little help. I have thought about making new ones using these as templates, guess I have extra reason to try now

Basically if you bought steel sheet metal of the right thickness at Lowe's (they do carry it), I don't see any reason why you can't trace them out, leaving excess around perimeter to form the bent edge found on OEM ones, use sheet metal snips or cut off wheels to cut them out, bend the edges with pliers, drill holes for mounting, and you're done. With some finesse they probably wouldn't even look bad. Sheet steel is very forgiving. The dust shields on the explorer axle we put in my brother's Ranger were clean but crunched up badly from dummies at the wrecking yard, I was able to smooth those back out to the point where you'd almost never know.

I'll get around to trying this to make some this winter and make a thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals