• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 2wd 5-speed stiff clutch pedal fix?

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, first time here, hate to start with a question (yes, I did a search first), but here goes anyhow:

Just bought a '94 Ranger excab, 2wd, 4.0V6 with a 5-speed. 175,000km and in really great shape.

P.O. said the clutch was replaced at 105,000km.

When driving, the clutch pedal is very stiff and hard to depress throughout it's range of travel. Engagement point is fine, doesn't chatter or slip, just that I can see that in short order, my left leg is going to be twice the size of my right.

I checked the fluid in the hydraulic clutch reservoir and there is an adequate level.

I haven't had any time to look at the rest of the system closely as I just bought the truck TODAY.

Is there a well-known fix to "lighten" the pedal feel?

Is it as simple as the return spring for the pedal itself? I looked up under the dash, but it was kinda dark and I couldn't make out any details up around the pedal pivot point whilst looking for a return spring or the like.

I'm going to try bleeding the clutch of course, flushing all the old fluid out, but maybe you Head Rangers know of a time honored fix specific to these trucks?

TIA! :icon_thumby:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the clutch pedal doesnt have a return spring...its pushed back by the clutch's pressure plate springs.

you should ask the previous owner what type of clutch he installed. if its some sort of "high performance" job, it might just have vary stiff springs on it.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the clutch pedal doesnt have a return spring...its pushed back by the clutch's pressure plate springs.

you should ask the previous owner what type of clutch he installed. if its some sort of "high performance" job, it might just have vary stiff springs on it.
Dang, I was afraid of that. I'll quiz up the P.O. and see if he knows what type of clutch was used. I'm not sure if he did the clutch, or if it was the first owner. The guy I'm buying it from has only had the truck for two years.

Well, I'll try flushing/bleeding the system nevertheless and see what that brings.

Anybody switch to a different diameter clutch master cylinder to reduce pedal effort?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theres only one clutch master cylinder available...so if you wanted to switch, it'd be a custom job.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
look under the dash at where the mastercylinder pushrod attaches to the brake pedal.if its like my 91 there are 2 holes for the pushrod to go in.someone had used the wrong hole and made the pushrod want to bind up,which made the pedal effort at least half again as much.since the truck was just worked on you might try the other hole on the pedal.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
look under the dash at where the mastercylinder pushrod attaches to the brake pedal.if its like my 91 there are 2 holes for the pushrod to go in.someone had used the wrong hole and made the pushrod want to bind up,which made the pedal effort at least half again as much.since the truck was just worked on you might try the other hole on the pedal.

Cool, will check that out. I'm working nightshifts right now, so that won't be until Tuesday.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: found nothing at all wrong with the clutch hydraulic system. I did bleed it out and some white junk came out with the fluid. It's all bled thoroughly, clutch works fine, though the pedal action still seems too stiff. I guess I'm just used to japanese vehicles as I've owned several compact import trucks over the years. This is my first N.A. truck with a standard transmission.

Once I get my new rims/tires installed and remove the ugly white canopy, I'll be sure to post a pic or two.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: found nothing at all wrong with the clutch hydraulic system. I did bleed it out and some white junk came out with the fluid. It's all bled thoroughly, clutch works fine, though the pedal action still seems too stiff. I guess I'm just used to japanese vehicles as I've owned several compact import trucks over the years. This is my first N.A. truck with a standard transmission.

Once I get my new rims/tires installed and remove the ugly white canopy, I'll be sure to post a pic or two.
The Ranger's clutch will be much stiffer than any Japanese car you're used to. I know what you mean tho...when I got into my mom's Subaru and depressed the clutch, I thought something was wrong it's so light.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just for fun, you might want to lube up the pivot points...

slammedteg91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Manual
So true, I just bought a 91 ranger 5spd, and my daily driver is a 91 civic 5-speed, let me tell you it is so different! But im glad to hear its normal as well :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals