• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 low

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
my 4 low does'nt engage.. i think its the switch but am not sure
my 4 high works fine but i go to put it in 4 low and nothing happens, the dash light does'nt even come on. Anyone tell me how i can make sure its just the switch and not something bigger?
its a '95 Ford Ranger.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
probably the shift motor. it wouldnt be the first time one of them refused to turn far enough to engage 4-low. there is an article in the tech library on how to take them apart and clean them up: CLICK

you are holding the clutch in and/or shifting into neutral, right?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And you are at a DEAD STOP, right?

Shifting into 4LOW while moving, even very slowly, is a very bad thing. You can do it with a manual transfer case (at the expense of a loud crunching noise), but your electrical case probably won't let you.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
yes i am at a DEAD stop....i know how bad it is to shift into 4 wheel while still moving....ill try cleaning up that shifter motor and see what happ:icon_cheers:ens

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing wrong with shifting into 4WD while moving. It's the low range that's a problem.

You probably should avoid shifting into 4WD while turning, but if driving straight, the shift will work just fine. It doesn't attempt to change the transmission speed by a factor of 3 or so...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My trucks both with a manual case require you to both be fully stopped and either in neutral or park to engage 4 low.

Another time not to shift intto 4x4 is if you think you are spinning, it will slam your drivetrain to get everything going the same speed.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
with a manual case, as long as the hubs are locked, you should be able to shift between 4-hi and 2-hi while moving. 4-lo requires you to be stopped (or moving VERY slowly) to shift in...but it shouldnt require nuetral or park.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with a manual case, as long as the hubs are locked, you should be able to shift between 4-hi and 2-hi while moving. 4-lo requires you to be stopped (or moving VERY slowly) to shift in...but it shouldnt require nuetral or park.
I wend out into the parking lot with my F-150 and tried it, it does go in but won't go out unless it is in neutral. Afterwards I broke out the manual and it said to put it in neutral for both. I had a problem with my Ranger going in and out a couple years ago, I am pretty sure it was the neutral thing on it too.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your f-150 is manual shift?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what does it do when you try to shift out of 4x4 while moving?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, on my 1991 Exploder, I *JUST* put manual hubs on it, and went screwing around with 4WD on pavement with the hubs open. It still has an electronic BW13-54 transfer case. It will go into 4HI even driving 30 MPH down the road. It will go out just as easily. I didn't try going into 4LOW after having done it once by accident on a Bronco II. THAT'S a noise I never care to hear again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what does it do when you try to shift out of 4x4 while moving?
It just won't go. If I stop and put in neutral it goes out very smoothly, just like it went in. I did not try to shift into 4 low on the fly, general rule of thumb I believe is that is a no-no.

4hi is shift on the fly, it was on the same page as the 4 Low thing for my F-150, I remember reading it in my Ranger's manual as well. I think they say up to 55 mph for my Ranger, at which point I don't know what 4x4 is going to do for you anyway...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya, 4-hi is shift on the fly.

oh wait :buttkick: you have an auto dont you. it just occured to me that even stopped, an auto is still applying pressure to the drivetrane (wheres the forehead slap smiley?).

im so used to 5 speeds :derisive:

michowski

Reaction score
I got a 93 4x4 5speed. 4hi is shift on the fly safely up to 50mph. 4low is shift at a dead stop in neutral. 4 hi you can shift in or out while moving or at a dead stop. 4low requires you to be at a dead stop wether your shifting in or out of it.

This because of the gearing between high and low. High gear can shift into 4x4 because all your adding is just 2 more wheels to the driveline. All 4 tires are already spinning at the same speed. The front diff is already spinning equal to the rear diff, its just not connected to power the front. Shifting into low gear while moving is gonna seriously screw up your gears. Just like shifting from low gear to high is gonna probly break your transfer case and trans from all the sudden super fast low gearing thats easy to spin to something geared tall and takes a lot of power to get it moving at the same speed. Its just a safety feature to prevent everyone from blowing a trans and case from sudden slamming into gear.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals