• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

to composite or not to composite ?

Brian Johnson

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 ranger 4x4 and have brake pulling problems, and have found sticking caliper pistons, which are composite. I have been told metal piston calipers are better . Is this true, and why? :icon_confused:

Last edited:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Alot of newer vehicles come with composite (or phenolic). In your case, 'in 94 the OE type was phenolic. Either will work and you'll never know the difference. Some people say metal piston is better because it is just that, metal, but if your having problems with pistons cracking you have other problems.
If it were me, I'd just get the cheaper one or whatever is in stock at your local parts store. Just be sure to bleed the system completely and reintroduce all new fluid in the system.

Last edited:

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
"They" say that the composite type of caliper pistons don't transfer heat the way the metal ones do, which is a good thing during heavy braking such as mountains and heavy loads/towing. The extra heat built up during these activities has been known to boil the brake fluid rendering your brakes ineffective. All in all you would have to weigh the pros and cons of each and apply it to your driving conditions. In general I personally woundn't just get the cheapest part out there and I wouldn't get the most expensive one either, since I'm a middle of the road type person.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced both of my calipers and used the cheap composite calipers, haven't had any problems yet a year into them.

Brian Johnson

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks , I think I will go with phenolic, because I live in the mountains of north carolina and use alot of hard braking.:icon_thumby:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
It's not a matter of the cheapest part, but what I was getting to is that a manufacturer will make two different versions of the same caliper...identical besides the piston being metal or phenolic. Sometimes the parts store only has one of the versions in stock. The one thats in stock, or the cheaper of the two will work just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals