• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing truck bed, fuel filler door, and fender flares

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've tried searching and have gotten quite lost in the results, trying to answer a couple questions:

1. How hard is it to remove the bed off the truck? Just disconnect the taillights, loosen up the fuel filler neck, remove side support brackets, remove 6 bolts? Boom done? Oh, and pray the bolts will come loose on a 16-yr old truck?

2. Where the heck can I find a replacement fuel filler door? Mine is all rusted to hell and barely hanging on by 1 hinge, not to mention how horrible it looks

3. My passenger side rear fender flare was partially ripped off (bad driver friend) and I need new mounting hardware, anyone know where to find new clips or mounting hardware for the stock 4x4 fender flares?

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1) no brackets to disconnect (at least not on my 06). all the rest os correct, use a T55 Star bit. Also, when lifting off bed, get 3-4 peeps, beds are HEAVY!!! All the rest is right though

2)junkyard is your friend

3)see #2

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so provided the bolts come loose, might take me an hour to get the bed off?

explodan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
after you remove the bed bolts,remove taillights,undo filler neck don't forget to unhook the taillight wiring up under the rear of the bed. might be easier to block the bed up a couple of inches to make getting at harness easier. after that you and a couple of buddies can lift it off.

ps: my son and i did it ourselves, 94 6ft bed fleetside

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they are easy. i remoed my box off of my 78' f150 first time since 78' and it was easy. it just takes time i would try to get all the wiring beore you even touch the bolts thats how i did it i got all the wiring out of the way and i put the 4 corners of the lift and lited them above the box, got straps and hooked them in the stake holes and raised it little by little to make sure everything was free and clear, then have a friend drive the truck off and have a dolley or cart and slde it under it (i built a very simple rectangle box with dolley wheels 3) ebay, junckyard, etc...

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I fixed my fender flare for $0.24. Picked up two plastic push pins and it works like a champ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals