• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a/c elimination?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im just throwing ideas around in my head about my project truck and i was wondering, did ford make a 3.0l w/o ac? i want to eliminate my a/c but leave the compressor on so i can use it for onboard air. is this a worthwhile idea? i assume i would need to find a way to supply oil to the compressor so it doesnt seize up. i want to eliminate that cluster f*** that is on the passenger side of the engine compartment and replace it with a simple non a/c heater box. that would make gaining access to the right side of the motor that much easier. any body see anything that i have over looked or any reasons that this wont work? also, ive heard that if your a/c doesnt work that your defrost wont work right in the winter? is this still true if you completely eliminate it?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
the best way to do OBA is to use a York style compressor. i believe that they dont have problems with the oiling. they either have a separate oiling set up or dont need it.

defroster wont work as well in the winter. it decreases the humidity in the air that is being blown on the windshield.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
I have a pretty cool OBA setup using my a/c compressor, and I know a few others on here have made them work. Eventually I will have a writeup, but if you want some pics, let me know. I mainly used the Viair and Kilby Enterprises for my basic design. You can get Viair parts through 4wheelparts.

They have a really cool scematic of the setup on Kilby's site.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
is there any way to make the defroster work right again if i take the a/c off? if i find a truck in the yard that is the same year w/o ac what parts do i need to rob off it?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, the defogger will never work as well without a dessicator in it.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, the defogger will never work as well without a dessicator in it.
but i have never had a/c in any of my trucks and the defogger has never been a problem. while i agree it would make things better, lack of a/c is not devastating. you dont even really need to get any parts, but if you want it to look like your truck never had a/c in the first place, get the heater box and the climate controls that goes in the dash. you can just take off the lines and anything else thats not needed. use an air tool oiler on the intake side of the air compressor, along with a small air filter, and use a water separator on the exhaust side. also, use a pressure switch and a toggle switch to control the air compressor. a small tank and some lines, you can have a pretty cheap and effective setup. i have heard of these compressors being able to make 400+ psi so make sure you use a pressure switch and a safety release valve. i have also heard that you should liberally lubricate the compressor with something like slick50 and then empty it before you use it, too.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can use any non-a/c box from, I know for sure, 89-94'. This is for a 90' right? If I'm not mistaken, even the 83-88's use the same one. I have a 93' and used one from a 90'. The blower motors are the same also. I haven't had any problems with my defogger without the a/c. Any way this project sounds neat a/c compressor used as an onboard air compressor sounds sweet!. Anybody have a write-up anywhere?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals