• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head bolt torquing (question about sequence)

transcendtient

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
From the forums I found the head bolt torque specs and was wondering if all these are done ENTIRELY in sequence meaning...

1)Torque bolts in order to 56lb
2)Loosen ALL in order one full turn
3)Tighten all in order to 34-40lb
4)Tighten all in order to 63-73lb

Also I'd like to know what anyone thinks about brushing with a thin layer of silicone and whether I should brush the head or the block.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm hammering through this myself on my 2001 taurus.There is a certain sequence go to a certain torque then turn each one in sequence a quarter turn two times.I screwed up something got an outside water leak.I would buy a basic manual to have this info if I gave you mine it might not be right for the ranger.

I do have a couple tips though you should need new bolts every time and when you do quarter turns mark the bolt heads before you start so you do each one the proper no.of turns.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep!

From the forums I found the head bolt torque specs and was wondering if all these are done ENTIRELY in sequence meaning...

1)Torque bolts in order to 56lb
2)Loosen ALL in order one full turn
3)Tighten all in order to 34-40lb
4)Tighten all in order to 63-73lb

Also I'd like to know what anyone thinks about brushing with a thin layer of silicone and whether I should brush the head or the block.
Ya always gotta follow the head bolt directions to the LETTER! AND NO... in fact HELL NO! NEVER put anything except the head gasket between the head and the block! Ya want it clean and dry! The gasket is NOT expecting anything except metal to adhere to.

What these directions are telling you is the sequence is designed to PULL imperfections out of the head... warps and such. Done to the directions I've NEVER had a leak or other problem.

The guys that I have seen that did have problems were all trying to install heads on blocks that weren't entirely cleaned up..

Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals