• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4x4

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I just read this post top to bottom. I read everything I can find on '94 4.0s because that is what the Rat has. 3.27 open diff as well. Total noob, I wanted a 4 cyl /5 spd/ 4x4 until I saw the Rat sitting under that tree.

My first Pickup was a '40 Chevy,then a '47 GMC ,a'49 GMC panel van, a '57 Chevy , a '60 F 100 and a "62 F-250. All 6 bangers. The Rat reminds me a lot of the'47 GMC. The 4.0 is my first V6 , Its a great little engine. The EFI engine mgt is very similar to the Bosch Motronic 1.1 in my BMW. The floors are in decent shape,but the left frame is mushy in spots. That is the latest project. Typical 600$ truck. It is about 3 K$ so far on a 1 K$ truck. :D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ I haven't had nearly the amount of classic and antique vehicles that you have had, but I've had a few. I drove a '54 one ton chev as a work truck for about a decade thru the 90's and early 2000's. I'm currently driving a 77 f250 as my main work truck along with the 94 ranger.

Just found that my rear passenger spring rear frame mount has rusted in two. The spring has started punching a hole in the box.....crap! I have an 86 that I've been saving for a restore but I guess it's going for parts now.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its been awhile.
I successfully replaced the frame bracket for the spring, I robbed the bracket off my race truck. Over the last two days I did the brakes. A couple months ago I heard a sound coming from the drivers rear. Turns out the brakes decided to come apart and the pieces were grinding in the drum. I pulled all the brake parts out and drove the truck on the front brakes only when absolutely necessary. I had also did a temporary repair on the front brakes awhile back and noticed the caliper piston boot was coming off. So now was the time to fix the brakes as I have access to a shop. Did the front with new calipers and pads. Did the rears with new drums and shoes and spring kits. Ended up replacing the wheel cylinders on both sides as that is what let go on the drivers side, and the passenger side the bleeder broke off. Glad the shop had oxy-acetylene to break loose the brake lines.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Its been awhile.
I successfully replaced the frame bracket for the spring, I robbed the bracket off my race truck. Over the last two days I did the brakes. A couple months ago I heard a sound coming from the drivers rear. Turns out the brakes decided to come apart and the pieces were grinding in the drum. I pulled all the brake parts out and drove the truck on the front brakes only when absolutely necessary. I had also did a temporary repair on the front brakes awhile back and noticed the caliper piston boot was coming off. So now was the time to fix the brakes as I have access to a shop. Did the front with new calipers and pads. Did the rears with new drums and shoes and spring kits. Ended up replacing the wheel cylinders on both sides as that is what let go on the drivers side, and the passenger side the bleeder broke off. Glad the shop had oxy-acetylene to break loose the brake lines.
Funny you mention 94! Just picked it up last week! We are replacing the transmission (I have in storage) into it in 2 weeks rather than convert my automatic truck to manual!

Other than lots of lots of noise from transmission it runs, it starts, stops and it does Turnpike speeds!

Good luck on the work!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Not too shabby. A lot better than mine, and I like the extended cab and console.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I got the transfer case motor working. I re-installed it and it worked. When I got the truck there was a lot of electrical problems, and they all stem from someone incorrectly wiring the trailer connector...they had a dead short in there. The only thing I don't like about the push button 4x4 is no neutral for flat towing.

On tonight's agenda is is fixing the front drive shaft. The double-cardan u-joints are toast. I bought one u-joint and then compared it to a bunch I've collected over the years. I found 4 the same.... I also have an extra shaft that looks to have good u-joints already, hopefully it's the same length as that will save a lot of work.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Long time no updates. For the last 2 days I've r and r'd the trans/TC. I finally got tired of adding brake fluid to the clutch master. I actually had a can of clutch fluid I was using and my parts guy didn't believe me. I had to go out to my truck and grab the can and show him as he had never seen nor heard of clutch fluid. I dont remember where I got it, probably a yard sale. First day I got the trans and TC off and never had any problems disconnecting the line from the slave....that's a first. Second day I put everything back together. I could have driven it then but decided to track down the rad fluid leak I've been chasing for years. This time it was the upper rad hose, it had a pinhole right beside the hose clamp. By the time im done with this truck it will be new....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm still getting a leak from the upper rad hose area.

And in more positive news, I welded in a front 2" receiver, mainly for my snowplow. Pics to come.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yesterday and today I did all 4 ball-joints. Also replaced the outer drive axle u-joint and the outer seal on the shaft. The truck is running poorly and I can't find my code reader.:sad:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Just touching base. The Rat still sees occasional use. Not enough to justify keeping it registered. If it isn't registered, it is hard to spend money on the stuff it needs . It is a good running 4.0 with a new clutch and a good 5spd in a rotten shell. I would absolutely love a good frame.:D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been slowly getting things fixed. I have insurance because it's my DD. I also have an f150 and my Grumman Kurbmaster insured as they are also work vehicles. With all my vehicles my insurance varies between C$1,500 and C$2,000 a year.

So a small update on this truck. I've recently done the following;
New o2 sensors ~C$170
New y-pipe with custom 2 into 1 straight pipe. ~C$180
New to me ECT sensor - scavenged
New to me FPR - scavenged
New rad under warranty. There was still a leak and I finally decided to exchange the rad, problem leak solved
The truck was running like shit and getting about 27l/100km. I started with the o2 sensors because codes.
Then the y=pipe because rotten flexpipe.
ECT sensor because code.
And the final fix was the fuel pressure regulator. It's now running much better.

This motor amazes me, it's been overheated lots of times racing before I finally found the waterpump impeller was not connected to the shaft. And it hasn't warped heads or blown a gasket. I kept wondering if the overheating had caused my problems but apparently not.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here are some pics of the exhaust work;

Starting on a mating flange. This is where the cats would bolt to. By cutting half way thru then flipping the piece over for the second hole I was able to avoid problems with the holesaw chattering.

The flange finished and two straight tubes cut and welded into a cone.

One edge of two hammered flat.

Cone welded to flange. I'm pretty proud of the weld job. My buddy Dave owns EnReach Hottap Services and let me use his shop over the weekend.

Here you see the cone and some bolts that I welded pieces to so I could tighten them down with only one wrench,

Mounted to y-pipe

exhaust tube welded to cone.

And the finished job.
I painted the cone and flange but that probably burnt off. I smelled burning paint for awhile.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Nicely done! Fits like a glove and looks great. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Today I'm going to fix my fuel gauge...or not.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some pics of my snowplow install;

Here is the plow assembled for the first time. Things went good.

I used a receiver extension to make a front receiver. when I bought the truck there was a piece already welded in, probably meant for towing. I used that and the existing front crossmember to weld it in.

I used the hook from a ratchet strap cut in half for safety chain connectors.

And the final result. The springs had to be tightened all the way, and it still trips too easily. I may add a spring or two.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm pretty jealous right now... I'm getting to old for the end of a snow shovel. We are expecting about 10 inches of snow tonight... that would come in handy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals