• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'06 XLT dome light acting weird

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand this truck has a "battery saver" feature, but it's acting weird.

Light sometimes will turn on when door opens, sometimes not. Doesn't seem to matter if I turn truck on/off... if truck has been sitting all night... same thing with the interior dial switch to manually turn light on, sometimes it turns on some times not.

Am I missing something? Do I need to replace this battery saver relay?

thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably not Battery Saver relay issue or other systems would be effected

There is an interior light relay

2006 uses Smart Junction Box(SJB) located in passenger side of cab behind kick panel, the "fuse box"
SJB took the place of GEM on earlier models, generic term is the Body Control Module(BCM), runs/controls all the interior electrics

The interior light relay has power all the time, relay coil and power for lights
The SJB controls the Ground of that relay, so Grounds the relay's coil to close relay and turn lights on
SJB module gets Ground signal from dash dome light switch or door open switches, it then Grounds the relay to turn on the lights
Each door has its own wire to SJB to activate the dome light, so test passenger door to see if dome light activates each time, if it is still intermittent then problem isn't drivers door switch.

Interior light relay is in the SJB, locate it and pull it out, check for corrosion, reinstall, sometimes pulling out and reinstalling a relay or any connector will clean contacts so it gets better connection.
That relay should "click" closed when any door is opened

The dome light bulb itself is grounded to the metal of the cab, so even if interior light relay is closing, sending power to the bulb, if its local ground is corroded bulb can be intermittent, so worth investigating before digging into the SJB

Last edited:

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input. Yeah it seems like only the dome is affected.

Does the interior light relay cause the light to turn off after "x" amount of time?

I'll check bulb, door switches, and pull/install relay... the re-assess

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes and no, the interior light relay has power all the time, but the dome light power comes thru Battery Saver relay, which the SJB opens after 20-30minutes of no activity and key out of ignition cylinder.
So interior light relay could still be closed but after 20-30min the power for the bulbs would be cut

Green05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is it the same with the 2005 for the SJB and the location of the Interior Light Relay? :popcorn:

bobbie58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the dome light in myr 2000 xlt never worked since I bought the truck about a year ago then in the winter time my 4x4 switch and power windows quit working I bought another( gem) generic electronc module now they work :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals