• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Dome Light Wont Turn On

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Done light in my 97 won’t turn on. Shouldn’t matter, but it’s a 2.3 5 speed 2WD. Since I bought it, the dome light won’t turn on at all. The dimmer switch won’t activate it either. Are there any relays/fuses to check? Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997, fuse #27 in cab fuse box is for dome light

Dome light looks to be Grounded at the bulb, so pull out the bulb and test for good ground.

There is a 5 pole relay for the Dome light, when this relay is OFF it passes 12v from the Dimmer to the Dome light when dimmer is turned all the way

When you open the door GEM module activates this relay and passes the 12v to the Dome light.

So the 3 things in common for no dome light are:
GROUND at the bulb
Fuse #27
Relay

But the relay doesn't need to be activated for the Dimmer wheel to turn on the bulb, but it is possible for a 5 pole relay to fail and not pass the 12v in either position on/off.
This relay is in Relay box 1 just above gas pedal area under the dash, there are a few relays in there, I don't have a diagram of which is which.

I didn't include bad bulb..............because I assume you have tested it already

Last edited:

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, there’s no fuse at #27. What amperage is it? I just stuck a jumper wire there, and my lights worked! Only, now they don’t turn off. So now it’s the complete opposite issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 fuse #27 is 10amp

Could be Dimming module is broken so keeping dome light on, or could be one of the door switches or its wire

See if BOTH "Door Ajar" lights on the dash work, same switch is used for Dome light trigger

GEM activates Dome light when either door is opened

Door open switch is a Ground to the GEM, so no Ground is door Closed, Ground is door open
If the wire from either switch is shorted to a Ground then GEM will think door is open and will turn on dome light AND "Door Ajar" light on the dash

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Very common problem is the light switch pin in the door sticking (and is probably why the fuse got yanked).

Many report spraying WD-40 into the switch or latch area will get it working again. Others say it gums it up and makes it worse. YMMV.

(all mine have the more traditional door jamb switch)

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/DoorContactPin.shtml

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1997 fuse #27 is 10amp

Could be Dimming module is broken so keeping dome light on, or could be one of the door switches or its wire

See if BOTH "Door Ajar" lights on the dash work, same switch is used for Dome light trigger

Door open switch is a Ground to the GEM, so no Ground is door Closed, Ground is door open
If the wire from either switch is shorted to a Ground then GEM will think door is open and will turn on dome light AND "Door Ajar" light on the dash

Well, I don’t have a door ajar light on the dash. Took out the cluster, and there’s nothing there for that. I actually have a ‘new’ dimmer switch from another ranger, but everything worked fine from that one.

Very common problem is the light switch pin in the door sticking (and is probably why the fuse got yanked).

Many report spraying WD-40 into the switch or latch area will get it working again. Others say it gums it up and makes it worse. YMMV.

(all mine have the more traditional door jamb switch)

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/DoorContactPin.shtml

Tried that, and it didn’t do anything. Do you know if you can see the physical switch on a 97, or is it all internal?

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a follow ups. Finally fixed it. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the inside of the door, and closed it repeatedly for a minute or two. Then I sprayed some lubricant on it, did the same thing, and let it sit overnight. Finally, now it’s working again. Now the key doesn’t constantly ding either, which is really nice

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

RedneckwithaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Automatic
This solved my problem. I think the last owner took it out on purpose. Thanks for the wealth of knowlege Ron.

1997 fuse #27 is 10amp

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals